Saturday, April 16, 2016

N is for Nostalgia

nos·tal·gia
näˈstaljə,nəˈstaljə/
noun
plural: nostalgias
  • a sentimental longing or wistful affection for the past, typically for a period or place with happy personal associations. ”I was overcome with acute nostalgia for my days in college"
  • something done or presented in order to evoke feelings of nostalgia. "an evening of TV nostalgia"


Today I give you a visual collection of things that evoke strong feelings of nostalgia in myself.

Smurf Collectible Glasses
If I'm not mistaken, these glasses were available for purchase at Hardee's restaurant.

Original New York Seltzer
My favorite flavor was the creme soda.

Troll Book Orders
Lord knows how many non-book items such as posters I ordered throughout elementary school...

Dancing Musical "My Future's So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades" Flowers

Snoopy Sno-Cone Machine

Magic Slates

Barbie Big Head

Barbie
I was a big Barbie fan as a child.  If you are interested, check out these previous posts about this iconic doll:


Critter Sitters
These critters where featured on notebooks, coloring books, and stationary.

Mr. Bones Candy 
I don't remember eating these candies, but I remember my younger cousins eating them like crazy.


Underoos
I admit it, I had the Wonder Woman variety.

Genie/Jam Pants
Good Lord, what were we thinking?

Scratch-n-Sniff Stickers

Bold Hold hair products
An essential product needed to achieve and maintain gigantic mall hair in the 1980s and early 90s.  And, more than likely, a contributing factor in the depletion of the ozone layer.  LOL!

Plastic Slurpee Cups 
I swear, I had several dozen of these...

Swatch Watch
I had the third one from the left (and numerous others).  And of course, a Swatch watch wasn't complete without a colorful protector guard or two.

Waterproof Sony Sports Walkman Radio

What items evoke feelings of nostalgia in you?
As always, thanks for stopping by.  Have a great weekend!


This is the fourteenth of twenty-six alphabetized blog entries that I am publishing this month as a part of the 2016 Blogging A to Z Challenge.  Many bloggers who participate in this challenge, select a theme.  My theme is - "Whatever I Think Of."  


For more information on the Blogging from A to Z April Challenge, click here.

5 comments:

  1. This is the quite the list of nostalgia items. I, too, loved Barbies. I still have the old suitcase I kept them in and the Barbies and their clothes (which look so ratty to me now). That suitcase has been in too many hot places and some of my Barbies melted... yikes. I also had a Farrah Fawcett doll in there. Alas, she also melted (not completely, but her head isn't "right").

    I loved that flyer we'd get at school to order books and posters and such. I think ours was from Scholastic (not Troll). I still have the first book I bought with my own money (a milestone!). Seems like I purchased fairly frequently. Did you know that schools now have a book fair once a year in which they bring in a large selection of books for sale? No more quarterly fliers (I think they were quarterly). Often parents don't want to spend a big chunk on books at one time, so I really think this was not a change for the better...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great trip down memory lane! I have fond memories of the Magic Slates and the Barbies...and the Jam pants. Loved those! Still love them, even now. Lol.

    Thanks for the nostalgic trip...I'm stuck in the 70s and have been for quite awhile. How I long to go back there...

    I'm doing Classic TV theme songs and intros. If you get a minute would love for you to come by...

    Michele at Angels Bark

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE this! Thanks for the trip down memory lane. I loved New York Seltzer. My favorite flavor was root beer. https://mhsusannematthews.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely forgot about Troll Book Orders, but that sure did make me nostalgic.
    I had WW underoos too.
    45 records make me nostalgic; my grandparents had some type of record playing radio contraption that was as big as a couch, and I'd play many 45's on it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...