Monday, April 18, 2016

O is for One Hour



Many, many years ago, during a late night/early morning, cocktail induced philosophical discussion with my best friend, she asked me this:  

“E, If you could have Jon and the boys all to yourself and have them play one hour’s worth of songs, songs that you picked, what songs would you choose to fill those 60 minutes?”

I’m not sure what I said, for I was under the influence at the time and because that was over 20 years ago.  I’m sure I picked the most commonly known and most popular songs they had released up to that point.  

Back in February, my blogger friend, Erin, posted her Ultimate Bon Jovi Playlist on her blog.  Erin and I share a deep and devoted love for the band that hails from New Jersey.  At the end of her blog, she called me out - I mean, she literally called me out and asked me what my favorite Bon Jovi songs were.  Given that it was in the way too early hours of the morning when I read it and that I had to be at work in less than an hour, there was no way I could possibly list them all in such a short amount of time.  During my drive to work that morning, I recalled that ancient conversation with my best friend and that’s when the inspiration for this post hit me.

If I was given the unimaginable gift of having Jon and the boys (Richie included - he MUST be there) all to myself for one hour…okay, okay,  wouldn’t be stingy - I’d invite some close friends whom I know would enjoy the experience (Erin, I’d invite you, too, since you are a true, long time fan), these are the songs I’d request.  

And, just for the challenge, I've listed the running times of each song in parentheses as they are listed in my iTunes music library, with the exception of one that is denoted with an *.  For that song, I used the running time from the video on YouTube.  I have ONE hour.  One.  Here we go…

Always (5:53)
My favorite of all Bon Jovi’s ballads.



Born to Be My Baby (4:40)
This song always seemed like the continuation of Tommy and Gina's story from Livin' on a Prayer.  I like it because it's about standing together when times get tough.



Edge of a Broken Heart (4:34) 
I’ve heard this song performed live once.  ONCE.  It’s an obscure song that was cut from Slippery When Wet and appeared on the soundtrack to the 1987 film Disorderlies soundtrack (you know, the kooky movie starring The Fat Boys).



*Hallelujah (Leonard Cohen cover) (6:00)
I had heard k.d. Lang’s version of this song before hearing Bon Jovi’s version.  The first time I heard Bon Jovi’s cover of this Leonard Cohen classic (@ Bridgestone Arena, Nashville, April 2010), I cried.  I know how cliche this sounds, but it is such a beautiful song and Jon sang it with such conviction, that my emotions spilled over in the form of tears.



Into the Echo (5:04)
Unless you have the band’s 2013 album, What About Now (deluxe edition), you probably will not know this song.  I’ve never heard it in concert and it was never released as a single in the U.S.  I love it though.  There's just something haunting and beautiful about the lyrics:

When it hurts just to talk, and it’s too dark to see
When my heart’s just a hole full of want, full of need
Stuck at a stoplight, hands gripping the wheel
Tears fill your eyes and you bleed just to feel
Someone beside you, someone to cry to

Into the echo, we shout our dreams
Into the echo, we throw our hearts
Into the echo, we send our love
Into the echo, to the echo, into the echo
To hear it back



It’s My Life (3:45)
Bon Jovi took a long hiatus in the late 90s, so much so that many of die hard fans like myself were beginning to worry that they had quietly faded into musical history.  Then, in the year 2000, they exploded back on the airwaves with this song.  This song is my personal mantra.



Livin’ On A Prayer (4:10)
Yes, I have heard this song a million times. I’ve heard it on the radio, on cassette tape (back in the 1980s), on CD, on my iPod, on my phone, and live in concert.  It’s my ringtone, for goodness sake!  But, it's still my all-time favorite.  No Bon Jovi performance, no matter how large or small, would be complete without this song.



Love’s The Only Rule (4:38)
Unreleased from The Circle album.  I love these lyrics:
I don't give a damn
How it's supposed to be
That might work for you
It don't work for me
You write your truth
And I'll write mine
One man's ceiling's
Another man's sky high

Flying like an aeroplane
Crying Like the lonely whistle of a long black train
Dance in the pouring rain
Spit in the eye of a hurricane
Who said life has got to be so cruel
Love's the only rule


(You Want To) Make a Memory (4:36)
One word.  Haunting.



Only Lonely (4:59)
What I've always liked about this song is the pain behind the lyrics.  It's about a love that may not the best for those involved, but a love that they just can't seem to live without and or move beyond.



That’s What the Water Made (4:25)
Another unreleased song from the What About Now album, but one of my favorites. 



This is Love, This is Life (3:25)
Remember Tommy and Gina from Livin' on a Prayer?  Well, I've always thought this song could be about them, too.  In Livin' on a Prayer, I picture them as young adults in their 20s.  In this song, I see them as seasoned middle age adults.  



You Give Love A Bad Name (3:44)
As I’ve said before, this song truly changed my life.  You can read more about it in these posts: The Soundtrack of My Life and D is for Defined.


There you have it, my one hour long Bon Jovi private performance setlist.  If my calculations are correct, the running time comes in at 59 minutes and 33 seconds.  That leaves me 27 seconds to spare!  That's just enough time for a hug and a photo op!  LOL!

This is the fifteenth of twenty-six alphabetized blog entries that I am publishing this month as a part of the 2016 Blogging A to Z Challenge.  Many bloggers who participate in this challenge, select a theme.  My theme is - "Whatever I Think Of."  


For more information on the Blogging from A to Z April Challenge, click here.


5 comments:

  1. This is fun to think about. I don't have the time to put together my one hour playlist. I know I'd want some songs not on your list. For instance, Blaze of Glory, I'll Be There For You, Have A Nice Day, and Bed of Roses. But, I really liked from your list (You Want To) Make A Memory, It's My Life, and Livin' on a Prayer. I have no idea what that adds up to. Maybe I'd just have him tell stories for the rest of the time:) Or just stand there and smile. That would be good, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW. Okay. This is a GREAT way to push yourself to pick songs...because hearing a song live over listening to a song takes on a whole new meaning. I love that you have "hits" with hidden gems. I like that you include the lyrics in some of the lesser known songs because they are some great lyrics.
    It's My Life ="This song is my personal mantra." ... mine too, my friend.
    So...you've got 13 songs listed. Off the cuff, without looking at playlists or anything...just pulling from my head: my Bon Jovi LIVE power hour would be (in no particular order): It's My Life, Edge of a Broken Heart, In These Arms, Hearts Breaking Even, Wild in the Streets, Always, Superman Tonight, She Don't Know Me, Only Lonely, Lie to Me, Born to Be My Baby, I Am, Prayer

    Okay...I'm sure I'd tweak that if I thought harder, but that was off the cuff.

    Love it! And, I can't wait for my personal invite to your exclusive hour long show :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, you know your stuff when it comes to the music you love:) Hats off to you;) Great post!

    mainy - myrealfairy

    #mg

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have really taken my time with this post and enjoyed every moment of it!! Listening to all the tracks and it was so great seeing film clips, I remember being obsessed with that Always film Clip! Bon Jovi was a huge part of my life also and still is, none of my friends listened to them so it was just me. My finds were all into pop music but I was influenced by my older brother and sister and loved Bon Jovi, Def Leppard and many others. I also really loved the soundtrack to Young Guns! I love Born to be my baby too! One of my other favs has always been I'll Be There For You. Gosh when you start going through them there is just so many it is too hard to pick I don't know how you narrowed it down. Thanks for trip down memory lane! And for linking up #mg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it should say my friends were all into pop, not my finds lol

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...