Friday, September 29, 2017

Ten Songs (Free Write) - Friday Reflections


I am recycling this #FridayReflections prompt from back in the spring because I enjoyed it so much the first time around.

PROMPT: Put your music on shuffle. List the first 10 songs that play and write how you feel about them.


I’ll Be There for You - Bon Jovi
There are certain songs that, even during the first few notes, have the power to transport me in the past to a specific time and place of my youth.  This song is one of them.  This song instantly transports me back to a Friday night in May, nearly three decades ago, when I was a young, naive freshman dancing closely with my senior boyfriend at the prom in our high school gymnasium.

I Know Places - Lykke Li
This song makes me feel very calm and serene.  It’s an obscure song, so you probably won’t be familiar with it.  "Come home, come unfold… " Whenever I hear this song, I instantly relax; my shoulders lower and my muscles release.

Take Me Home Country Roads - Steve Elkins version
This isn’t the more commonly recognized version made popular by John Denver, but rather an instrumental version.  Regardless of which version I hear, this song always makes me little homesick and makes me long to go home.

Wake Me Up (Before You Go Go) - Wham!
This song makes me feel a myriad of emotions - nostalgic, happy, and a little sad.  I have some very vivid memories of this song from my childhood.  The song is one of those infectious tunes that makes you want to bop your head or, at the very least, tap a foot.  It’s a happy song overall.  The twinge of sadness I feel is due to the fact that George Michael is no longer with us and the world will never hear any new music from him.

Already Gone - The Eagles
It's hard for me to listen to this song without SIGNING (not to be confused with singing) along, either for real with my hands or at the very least thinking of the signs in my head.  In one of my college sign language classes, the final consisted of signing something for 8-10 minutes.  I chose to sign two songs: "We've got tonight" by Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band and "Already Gone" by The Eagles.  I'm amazed that I still remember 80% of the lyrics (in sign) twenty years later. 

Baby Makes Her Blue Jeans Talk - Dr. Hook
I keep certain songs on my phone not because I like them, but because they elicit certain memories. This is one of those songs. This song reminds me of my dad, back when I was kid, before he married his second wife, when our relationship was simple.  I remember naively asking my father how anybody could "make their blue jeans talk" and his reply was something like, "You won't understand until you're older."  LOL!  He was so right!

Ex's & Oh's - Elle King
I've always liked this song, from the first time I heard it in my husband's car. (He listens to modern music; I prefer the 80s and classic rock.)  I like the beat, I like the catchy melody.  Unfortunately, it's one of those songs, that if you're not careful, will get stuck in your head and you'll find yourself singing for days.

I Would Die 4 U - Prince
I have no authentic memories of this song, nor does it really conjure up any particular feelings other than my opinion of it  being a great song to walk to due to it's fast beat and all.  Whenever I hear it, though, I instantly see the last scene of the movie Purple Rain, the scene where Prince sings this song.  

Southern Cross - Jimmy Buffett version
This is another song that I don't have any authentic memories of.  I know the Crosby, Stills, & Nash version was played with regularity on the local radio station back home as I was growing up, but I don't have any specific memories associated with it.  I like the song and it has come to remind me of my trip to Australia and New Zealand ten years, when I saw the Southern Cross for the first time.

In Your Eyes - Peter Gabriel
I have always, and I mean always, thought this was such a pretty song.  I love how it symbolizes such a deep love, a love that anchors a person, stabilizes them, and gives them hope and the strength to carry on in the life.  To me, it's about a love that is supportive, protective, and nurturing.  Yes, like most people, whenever I hear this song, I see John Cusack standing with his boom box over his head as in the movie Say Anything.  It's such a strong visual, I can't help it.


Linking up with:
#FridayReflections

5 comments:

  1. I know most of these songs. Funny that I don't have a playlist but I will say that it's been a dream of mine since early childhood to visit Australia. Perhaps one day, I will see the Southern Cross, too. The Unknown Journey Ahead agingonthespectrum.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes songs are our lifeline. It's amazing how particular ones have memories attached to them and lets you time travel when you listen to them. Nice collection there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know some of these songs but not all...I love how songs speak to us! I have so many that are poignant at different moments in my life :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The coffee house plays Ex's and Oh's a lot.

    Those last four are pretty good. Maye there's hope for you yet.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...