1) The teachers in my home state of West Virginia have been on strike for about a week and a half now. Knowing that numerous kids would go without regular meals during the strike, many teachers throughout the state organized ways to feed the kids during the work stoppage... and they used their own money.
2) Meanwhile, teachers and other state employees here in Kentucky are fighting a battle of our own involving pensions. As a public educator, this is a very scary situation for me and this crisis has me very tense. This video, posted by a Kentucky principal named Gerry Brooks who often makes videos such as this poking fun at education and things teachers deal with every day, made me laugh. Only Gerry could make my laugh at anything pension related right now.
3) After having a very trying parent meeting Wednesday, I was blessed to have two of the most pleasant parent meetings that I've ever had on Thursday. I desperately needed them because I was beginning to lose my faith in humanity.
4) This "historical marker" that I saw last Friday while in Lexington, KY for a conference. (Lexington has many historical buildings dating back to the 1700s and most have placards on them proclaiming their significance.)
5) After several failed attempts, I finally found a new pair of sneakers to walk in. My old ones, by my estimate, have over 400 miles on them!
6) The entire second grade class at my school had a school wide performance this week in which they sang various songs from the early days of Rock-n-Roll, such as "Blue Suede Shoes," "I Want to Hold Your Hand," and "Tutti Frutti." It was super cute and what made it even cuter was that the majority of the kids dressed up. Many of girls wore poodle skirts and a lot of the boys dressed up as surfers (for the song "Surfing USA") or as greasers complete with black leather jackets and all!
What's something that made you happy this week? Have a wonderful weekend!
P.S. Happy Birthday to my boyfriend of 31 years...
Linking up with: