Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Top Ten Tuesday: Favorite Book Quotes




“If every person in this room made it a rule that wherever you are, whenever you can, you will try to act a little kinder than is necessary - the world really would be a better place. And if you do this, if you act just a little kinder than is necessary, someone else, somewhere, someday, may recognize in you, in every single one of you, the face of God.” ― R.J. Palacio, Wonder

“Make sure, as often as possible, you are doing something you’d be happy to die doing.”  ― Matt Haig, The Humans

“Humans speak too much. They chatter like chimps, crowding the world with their noise even when they have nothing to say.” ― Katherine Applegate, The One and Only Ivan

“Religion is something between you and other people; it’s full of interpretations and theories and opinions. But faith . . . that’s just between you and God.” ― Fredrik Backman, Beartown

“Good things don’t wait until you’re ready. Sometimes they come right before, when you’re almost there. And I figured when that happens, you can let them pass by like a bus not meant for you. Or you can get ready.” ― Taylor Jenkins Reid, One True Loves

“If I have learned anything in this long life of mine, it is this: in love we find out who we want to be; in war we find out who we are.” ― Kristin Hannah, The Nightingale

“The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something. Because the brick walls are there to stop the people who don’t want it badly enough. They’re there to stop the other people.” ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture

“When you're given an opportunity to change your life, be ready to do whatever it takes to make it happen. The world doesn't give things, you take things.” ― Taylor Jenkins Reid, The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo

“The problem with books is that they end. They seduce you. They spread their legs to you and pull you inside. And you go deep and leave your possessions and your ties to the world at the door and you like it inside and you don't want for your possessions or your ties and then, the book evaporates.” ― Caroline Kepnes, You

“Sometimes you need to scorch everything to the ground, and start over. After the burning the soil is richer, and new things can grow. People are like that, too. They start over. They find a way.” ― Celeste Ng, Little Fires Everywhere


What is one of your favorite book quotes?  Please feel free to share.

Linking up with:

18 comments:

  1. "If we deny love that is given to us, if we refuse to give love because we fear the pain of loss, then our lives will be empty, our loss greater." from the Dragonlance chronicles by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman (I don't remember the exact book). It's basically just a fancy way of saying "better to have loved and lost..." but it's stuck with me since I first read the books when I was around 18.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only read Wonder from this list so far, but that's a great quote. Some of my favorite book quotes come from Perks of Being a Wallflower.

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone else, I can't remember who, had several quotes from The Perks of Being a Wallflower. I agree, there are several great quotes from it as well.

      Delete
  3. I like the second quote though I think it's rather hard to do as there are things we have to do as oppose to things we want to do.

    have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I have gravitated to it because it reminds me not to waste time and not to put off the things I want to do. Hope you have a great day, too.

      Delete
  4. Never read any of these books!Nice list!
    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this list! That quote from You is so brilliant, I've never heard it but it's wonderful!

    My TTT: https://betweenthepages13.wordpress.com/2018/03/06/top-ten-tuesday-favorite-book-quotes/

    ReplyDelete
  6. "You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. . . .

    And that, I think, was the handle—that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn’t need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting—on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .

    So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark—that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.”

    - Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never read that book, but I like this. I read it the first time silently and then read it the second time out loud. It's very intriguing.

      Delete
  7. Great choices! I've only read The Nightingale, You, and Little Fires Everywhere from this list, but several of the others are on my "To Read" list.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice list!!
    https://justmeandmyblogreviews.blogspot.com/2018/03/top-ten-tuesday-book-quotes.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the quote from The One And Only Ivan. That’s such a good book.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, it was a great book. I listened to that audiobook back in October and I still think of Ivan a lot.

      Delete
  10. I like the quotes you share here. I collect quotes too. Here is a favorite of mine, thinking of Easter. "On the third day the friends of Christ coming at daybreak to the place found the grave empty and the stone rolled away. In varying ways they realized the new wonder; but even they hardly realized that the world had died in the night. What they were looking at was the first day of a new creation, with a new heaven and a new earth; and in a semblance of the gardener God walked again in the garden, in the cool not of the evening but of the dawn."
    Gilbert K. Chesterton

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...