Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Top Ten Tuesday: Best Character Names

  • Holly Golightly, Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote
  • Atticus Finch, To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee


  • Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride by William Goldman (Go ahead say the line, I know you want to.  "My name is Inigo Montoya...)
  • Four, the Divergent Trilogy by Veronica Roth - (A character so cool, that he only needs one name much like Sting, Madonna, Bono, and Prince)

  • Merry Mansfield, Razor Girl by Carl Hiaasen
  • Honey Santana, Nature Girl by Carl Hiaasen

  • Willowdean "Dumplin'" Dickson, Dumpin' by Julie Murphy
  • Clinton "Skink" Tyree, first introduced in Double Whammy by Carl Hiaasen


  • Cinna, first seen in The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (Like Four above, Cinna's so cool, that he only needs one name.)
  • Large Marge, The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah


What are some of the best character names you can think of?


Linking up with:
Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together.

16 comments:

  1. There are some excellent character names in Terry Pratchett's Discworld books: Detritus (a troll), Bestiality Carter (actually, all the Carters have interesting names...), Letice Earwig, Goodie Whemper. I could go on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not familiar with any of those books or names, but I do agree with you that they are very interesting!

      Delete
  2. I do love unique character names! They just stand out so much. LOVE the name Cinna; and the character.

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many of the characters from The Hunger Games could be used - Effie Trinket, Katniss, Peeta, Haymitch... But, there's just something cool about Cinna that makes it stand out above the rest.

      Delete
  3. Four and Cinna are awesome names!

    Great list!

    Check out my TTT - http://www.amysbookishlife.co.uk/2018/05/top-ten-tuesday-best-character-names-in.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cinna is such a great name! Him and Haymitch are my favourite characters from Hunger Games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haymitch is another that made my initial brainstorming list. I like the comedic (though tragic) elements that Haymitch brought to the story. As for Cinna, I just liked his simplicity, his quiet demeanor, and his love for Katniss.

      Delete
  5. Fantastic list! I agree that the Hunger Games names in general are an interesting bunch :)

    Dani @ The Restricted Section

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, The Hunger Games supplied an endless array of choices for names!

      Delete
  6. Atticus made my list too. I didn't think of The Princess Bride. Inigo is an excellent name!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When a friend of mine started dating a man whose son was named Atticus, I asked her, "Like Atticus in To Kill a Mockingbird?" I swear those are the only two times I've ever heard that name! Inigo is super cool but you have to say the entire name to get the full coolness effect! LOL!

      Delete
  7. The Hunger Games has so many brilliant names!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2018/05/22/top-ten-tuesday-160/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Inigo was so close to making my list this week. :)

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When The Princess Bride movie first came out, I kept thinking he was saying his name was "Indigo." It wasn't until several years later that I realized it was Inigo with no D. LOL!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...