Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Recently Read - Vol. 29 (May and June '18)


Ladies and gentleman, I'm in a deep reading slump.  In two months, I've read three and a half books.  Not sure what's going on, but I just don't have much interest in books right now.  I'm just going to go with it for the time being, not stress over it, and see what happens.

Here are the books I've read in May and June:



Mating in Captivity by Esther Perel
May 7-16 | Format: Audiobook | My rating:  4/5

Every once in a while I read a book so far out of my zone of normalcy that even I'm surprised that I read it.  Mating in Captivity definitely fits into that category.  Basically, this book takes a look at the complexities of sexual desire in long term relationships through the discussion of information from numerous case studies.  There is no research in this book nor are there any suggestions on how to fix your own situation. Instead, it is merely a discussion on how it can be difficult to sustain sexual desire in the long term and it attempts to explore why this is so.

I liked it, but would not necessarily recommend it unless you like nonfiction and want to learn more about this topic.  Some of the case studies were very entertaining and some heartbreaking.

FINAL VERDICT:  COIN TOSS (too many variables)



The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah
May 16-30 | Format: Audiobook | My rating: 4.5/5

Wow, what a book!  It was well written with an interesting premise and featured memorable characters, some whom I loved and some whom I hated.  The only thing that kept me from giving this book a 5/5 rating was the ending.  I thought one particular part of the story was too unrealistic and that the ending in general felt rushed.

FINAL VERDICT:  HIGHLY RECOMMEND


May 30 - June 3 | Format: Audiobook | My rating: 4/5

After I read Eat, Pray, Love many years ago, I was inspired to start meditating.  I was horrible at it, but through my attempts I learned to be still and how to quite my mind in other ways.  Apparently, I'm not the only one who was inspired to do something and this collection shares what nearly fifty other people did after reading Eat, Pray, Love.  Some stories are funny, some are heartbreaking, but most are inspirational and full of hope.

FINAL VERDICT:  RECOMMEND (if you read EPL and liked it) 


All the Missing Girls by Megan Miranda
June 3 - DNF | Format: Audiobook

This book's premise is what intrigued me from the start - two young women go missing from a small town a decade apart and there's apparently a connection between the two.  And with words like "spellbinding" and "suspenseful" used in the book's description, I was very excited to start it.  Then I got about halfway through and stopped.

This is my first DNF in a long time and it's because of several factors.  First, the telling of the story in reverse, from day 15 to day 1, made it tough for me to keep up with...  Well, to keep up with everything.  (Listening to it in audiobook format made it more difficult in my opinion.)  Second, when I made it to the midway point, I left for a fast paced, hiking trip out west and I lost complete interest in it.

I'm not completely giving up on the book just yet, but I have no plans to finish it anytime in the immediate future.  When I revisit it at a later time and give it another go, I will probably read a print version and restart it from the very beginning.

FINAL VERDICT:  COIN TOSS (Once I finish it, I'll let you know.)


~~~~~

Anyone else out there read All the Missing Girls and have trouble with it like I did?  I've always heard that timing is everything, even with books.  Perhaps that's the case with me.

Until next month, happy reading to you!


Linking up with Steph and Jana

32 comments:

  1. I haven't read Eat Pray Love, but I tend to like non-fiction like that, so I'll have to keep it in mind if I ever get around to reading Eat Pray Love. The Great Alone has definitely been my favorite book of the year-- so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristin Hannah is one of the most solid authors I've read. She continues to impress me.

      Delete
  2. I would not have been able to really get how the Megan Miranda was told in an audiobook. Maybe try reading it?

    Loved The Great Alone so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, when I attempt it again, I'll have to try a print version so I can go back and re-read when I have those, "What?" moments. LOL! I don't normally have issues, but this book's format was just too wonky for audio.

      Delete
  3. I do agree that sometimes it's just not the right moment for a book. I haven't read All the Missing Girls but I DO really want to read it as I've heard good things and it sounds like a "me" book. haha Sorry you're in a bit of a reading slump. They do happen sometimes - but hopefully you'll pick up an amazing book soon.

    -lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eat Pray Love has gotten so many mixed reviews but it was one of my fave books years ago. I must pick up this follow up with people who were inspired by it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's kind of what I've experienced - people either love it or hate it and there are very few in the middle (or at least that I know of). The follow up is a fairly quick read.

      Delete
  5. I loved the great alone but something was missing for me to make it a 5 star. it was still very good though. i just read on someone else's post today that it's going to be a movie, so i am excited for that. i've not heard the best things about megan miranda, so i'll steer clear of that one unless your tune changes when you finish lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how I felt. It was great, I enjoyed it a lot, but it was missing... something. Still, I highly recommend it. So far, from what I recall, Megan Miranda is kind of hit or miss. I'll let you know how it goes when I re-read it (in print form).

      Delete
  6. I haven't read All the Missing Girls yet but all I've heard is great things! It's on my TBR still.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Megan Miranda seems to be a coin toss author, you either love her or hate her (not personally, but her works). The jury is still out for me until I re-read it again from the beginning. We shall see!

      Delete
  7. You are not alone, Ericka. I did not read a single book in June and I don't know the last time I have gone so long without reading. But my heart's not into it and I don't believe in forced reading. I have not read All the Missing Girls but given the format I can see how that would be difficult to enjoy on audiotape. The Great Alone is on my TBR but I still haven't gotten to it yet, although everyone seems to love it! Here's to a better reading month in July!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to listen to many audiobooks during the span of a month, but things have changed over the course of the year. I don't have as long of a commute as I used to and lately I've preferred to listen to music while in the car and while walking (where I used to listen to audiobooks all the time). Sometimes I do go through spells where I need to hear fewer words and I'm think I'm in one of those spells now. Thanks! Same to you!

      Delete
  8. Mating in Captivity sounds like the kind of book I could love, if I picked it up at the right time lol. Books like that really depend on my mood. EPL remains one of my favorites (literally nothing else by her, though)...sounds like an interesting collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Timing is everything. This is a book that hadn't been on my TBR until the day I bought it and started listening to it. Just a pure whim.

      I've never read anything else by Elizabeth Gilbert either. I really enjoyed the collection.

      Delete
  9. definitely had a hard time with that MM book, I ended up finishing it but was still irritated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Irritated is an excellent word to describe my experience! I'm going to give it a go at a later date and hope the second time is a charm.

      Delete
  10. I had such a hard time with All The Missing Girls too! The telling of it backwards was super confusing to me, and I had a hard time keeping the story and timeline straight. You're totally not alone in that matter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hallelujah it's not just me who had issues with All the Missing Girls! When I give it another go, I'll try the print version, which I hope will make it easier.

      Delete
  11. I have been waiting for The Great Alone for forever. I'm hoping it comes in before I leave for vacation.

    I'm not in true slump but I am reading much slower than usual this year. There must be something in the air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I go through spells where I just get tired of words. LOL! I get tired of conversation, tired of books, tired of TV. That's where I've been lately. Listening to music has been spared, I guess bc I can listen to the music but not necessarily listen to the words if that makes sense.

      Fingers crossed that The Great Alone becomes available before you leave for vacation!

      Delete
  12. That's a bummer about All The Missing Girls. It sounds like a great plot but it's a bummer when they fall short. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might work out better reading the print version rather than trying to listen to audio. But, other people have mentioned that the story told in reverse thing gave them fits, too. I'll try again at a later time.

      Delete
  13. I also loved The Great Alone! I completely agree about the ending feeling a little rushed or wrapped up too neatly. Thanks for the reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I finished All The Missing Girls but the backwards way it was told was very confusing, which took away from the story, at least for me. I also wish I had picked up the paperback version instead of e-book so that I could flip around easier. Mating in Captivity sounds really interesting, I'll have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hallelujah I'm not the only one having issues with the backwards thing!

      Delete
  15. I struggled with The Great Alone (not a popular opinion). I thought it was well written but the topic of domestic abuse hit to close for me and I really had to push myself to finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see where the topic could hit too close to home and be uncomfortable. Have you read anything else by Kristen Hannah? If you haven't, you might want to check out The Nightingale.

      Delete
  16. the great alone was incredible! i finished that in 2 days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very impressed with Kristin Hannah. Her work, or at least what I've read, is very solid and consistent.

      Delete
  17. I had the same reaction to All the Missing Girls. I had an ARC and couldn't finish it. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad to discover that it wasn't just me habit issues with this book. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...