Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Top Ten Tuesday: Books with Sensory Reading Memories


Sensory reading memories...  where I was, what time of year it was, who I was with, what I was eating, etc.

I listened to much of this audiobook last summer while walking in the park.  There's one point in the book when Junior, the main character, says something like, "Naked woman + right hand = Happy, happy, joy, joy!" and I completely lost it!  I mean, my brisk walking pace came to a complete stop and I started howling with laughter.  I got some very strange looks from other walkers and runners that day.  

Dancing With Myself by Billy Idol
A few summers back, I was listening to this audiobook while waxing my car in my parents' garage.  My stepdad walked in right as Billy was dropping some f-bombs.  I quickly scrambled to turn it off and I looked apologetically at Si.  When I started to apologize for Billy's language, Si said to me, "Don't worry about it!  I may be a preacher, but I'm not a prude." 

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
I re-listened to this audiobook while traveling back from Quebec, Canada on a tour bus three years ago.  

Skinny Dip by Carl Hiaasen
I listened to this book while on a cruise which was quite fitting because part of the story takes place on a cruise ship.

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
I remember lying on my mother's uber comfy sofa (that she no longer has) and reading this book on my iPad during one of my spring breaks.

Twilight by Stephanie Meyer
I distinctly remember going to Barnes & Noble to buy this book.  It was right before Christmas and the store was decked out with Christmas decorations.  I also remember coming home and completely devouring that novel.

My Husband's Sweethearts by Bridget Asher
What I remember most is telling my then-officemate, Gay, about this book and describing the premise.  She laughed her signature hearty laugh and asked to borrow it once I was finished.

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
I read much of the hardback edition of this book in the summer of 2012 while sitting outside on my parents' deck in southern West Virginia.

One for the Money by Janet Evanovich
What I remember most about this book is lying on our old, blue, leather love seat while reading it and laughing out loud because the book was that funny.  I sometimes laughed until tears streamed down my face.  Periodically my husband would ask, "You gonna be alright?"

The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks
I read this book while visiting the Outerbanks of North Carolina with my parents.  I read it in the car on the way there and while sitting on the pristine beach.  I cried and was so thankful that I had sunglasses on to mask my tears because I felt utterly stupid.

~~~

How about you?  Do you have any sensory reading memories?  Feel free to share.


Linking up with:

    Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together. 

    6 comments:

    1. Ilovethe Outlander series but I had a really hard time with the first book, especially getting into it. Great list!

      My TTT: https://fantasyraiders.wordpress.com/2018/07/24/top-ten-tuesday-books-with-sensory-reading-memories/#more-8617

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I've experienced the same thing with the second Outlander book. I cannot get into it to save my life.

        Thank you!

        Delete
    2. You have reminded me that I want to read the Billy Idol book. A lot of my reading memories involved what I was sitting/lying on, too. 😁

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Billy Idol's autobiography was very surprising. He is actually quite insightful and articulate. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but it wasn't that. Here's a link to my quick review of his book if you're interested: http://edb214.blogspot.com/2016/08/recently-read-vol-10-july-16.html

        Delete
    3. I listened to Outlander on audiobook - the narration was pretty great. :)

      Check out my TTT and my current giveaway

      ReplyDelete

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...