Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Recently Read - Vol. 13 (Oct. '16)



Busyness.  General distractedness.  Too much crap bouncing around in my head.  Disinterest.  Report cards.  The need for silence. Life.  Pick your reason for why I only read TWO books in October, for any of the reasons I mentioned will be valid.  

Ladies and gentlemen, the reading slump continues...  LOL!

On the plus side, however, at least I enjoyed the two books that I read last month!  Without further ado, there are the books I read in October:

Fool Me Once by Harlan Coben
Read October 1 - 13 | Format: Audiobook | My Rating:  4/5

Synopsis from Goodreads: Former special ops pilot Maya, home from the war, sees an unthinkable image captured by her nanny cam while she is at work: her two-year-old daughter playing with Maya’s husband, Joe—who had been brutally murdered two weeks earlier. The provocative question at the heart of the mystery: Can you believe everything you see with your own eyes, even when you desperately want to? To find the answer, Maya must finally come to terms with deep secrets and deceit in her own past before she can face the unbelievable truth about her husband—and herself.

I read one of Coben's books before (Six Years) and I really didn't care for it. I've avoided his books ever since. When I read the synopsis for Fool Me Once, however, I admit that I was immediately intrigued, but still a bit leery. After a few other trusted bloggers read it and gave it positive reviews, I decided to jump and I'm glad I did. Although Fool Me Once wasn't earth shatteringly brilliant or the best thriller/mystery I've ever read, it was intriguing enough to keep me interested (and given how distracted I've been as of late - that says a lot!) and to keep me wondering.

The Watchman by Robert Crais
Read October 14 - 31 | Format: Audiobook | My Rating: 4/5

Synopsis from Goodreads:  To pay back an old debt, Pike is coerced into protecting Larkin Barkley, a hard-partying young heiress whose life is in danger after a "wrong place wrong time" encounter that quickly escalates and spins out of control. The enemy is shadowy, violent and relentless—but the fierce, focused Pike, one of the strongest characters in modern crime fiction, is equal to the challenge. The breathless pace and rich styling are sure to appeal to readers of hard-boiled fiction in general, but since up to now Pike has mostly remained in the background, some fans of the Elvis Cole series (The Forgotten Man, etc.) may find the explicit picture that emerges of Pike at odds with the image they've constructed for themselves.

This is the eleventh book in the Elvis Cole/Joe Pike series and is the first to feature Joe Pike as the main character.  As a long time fan of the series, this installment did not disappoint and I enjoyed Joe Pike taking the lead, so-to-speak.  The plot was thought provoking and provided enough twists and turns to keep me guessing.


-|-

So, there you have it... my October reads.  Like I said, although I didn't read much last month, I did enjoy what I read, so I guess that must count for something. 

What have you read lately?  Any recommendations?

Have a great day and thanks for stopping by!


Linking up with Steph and Jana 


P.S. Food for thought:



10 comments:

  1. Fool Me Once is the only thing I've ever read by Coben and I loved it, though I remember as I was reading it I wasn't sure, but the ending completely surprised me! ps. love that graphic on the election-- so true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I totally thought the same thing about Six Years and pretty much swore off Harlan Coben, but everybody keeps on raving about Fool Me Once! I know that I need to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read some Harlan Coben, his Myron Bolitar (spelling?) series. Not my favorite but still okay. I haven't read Fool Me Once but the synopsis has me interested. Adding it to my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read either of these and I know what it's like to be in a reading slump....I pretty much really enjoyed everything I read this month if you check out my post :) ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have read one Harlan Coben book (Just One Look) and I remember next to nothing about it so it can't have been too earth shattering!

    I just read Among Others by Jo Walton and absolutely loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fool Me Once sounds good! I'll have to add it to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I keep meaning to read a Harlan Coben book. Gosh, there's just soooo many books I want to read!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like HC's Myron Bolitar series but haven't adored his books outside of that. Maybe try one of them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I too am a fan of the Elvis Cole/Joe Pike series. That Harlan Coben book's plot sounds intriguing, seeing her dead husband on the nanny cam.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ugh, reading slumps are the worst! At least you liked the books you did read, though. That's something! :-)

    I read The Stranger by Harlan Coben and hated it. Like, 1 star rating, barely finished it hated it. I'm willing to give him another chance at some point, but that book really killed any enthusiasm I had for reading his work. I think I'll add Fool Me Once to my list, though. The plot sounds interesting, so maybe it's worth a shot!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...