Thursday, July 23, 2015

Guilty Pleasures 1.3 - My Top 15 GP Movies

I've been thinking about movies for this post for over a week now and, honestly, it's been a bit tough.  Unlike the post on TV shows, I didn't have difficulty coming up with enough movies to write about.  My problem was whittling down the movies to a manageable number.

So, without further ado...  Here are my Top 15 Guilty Pleasure Movies:

#15  Cocktail (1988)
It’s part NYC.  It's part Jamaica.  It’s Tom Cruise before he weirded out and lashed out on Matt Lauer.  Oh, and the soundtrack is pretty awesome, too.  <cue music> Aruba, Jamaica, oooooh I wanna take ya.  Bermuda, Bahama, come on pretty mama...

#14  Fools Gold (2008)
4 words:  Matthew McConaughey in paradise.

#13  Romancing the Stone (1984)
A favorite of mine since I was 11 or 12 years old, this movie might have been the first visual exposure to a foreign country that I had.  With just a touch of danger and romance, it is the ultimate treasure hunt adventure.

#12  Rock of Ages (2012)
Confession:  I saw the Rock of Ages (the Broadway musical) before the movie and I didn't really care for the motion picture adaptation at first.  But, with time, it kind of grew on me.  

As a self-proclaimed Child of the 80s, this movie is like a hodge-podge of all things 80s.  You have the gigantic cell phone, Donkey Kong, big hair, mini skirts, Tipper Gore-ish protesters, and 80s classics such as "I Want to Know What Love Is", "Wanted Dead or Alive", and the ultimate arena rock anthem "Don't Stop Believin'".

#11  Robin Hood:  Prince of Thieves (1991)
Yes, Kevin Costner's lack of an English accent was lame, but there's something so appealing about a man who can build adult tree houses in the forest, robs from the rich to give to the poor, and is willing to fight and die for the lady he loves.

#10  Sixteen Candles (1984)
How can you not enjoy a movie with a character in it by the name of Long Duck Dong?

#9  10 Things I Hate About You (1999)
This movie appeals to my inner misfit.  Despite disguising it well, I felt like a misfit in high school, so I get what it's like to be misunderstood.  I so enjoy seeing two highly misunderstood teens (misfits) find one another.  And the movie has some pretty funny moments, too.   

#8  Valley Girl (1983)
I have no idea.  I’d love to be able to give you a reason or at least attempt to defend myself, but I haven’t a clue.  I just know that every time this movie comes on, there is a 99% chance that I will watch it.  Maybe it's the stimulating vocabulary...


#7  Leap Year (2010)
Beautiful Irish countryside and Matthew Goode’s accent.  “Trow it in da’ wash, id' be grand!”  Sigh.  I could listen to that man talk for days.

#6  Titanic (1997)
Despite its weepy love theme song, despite knowing that ship is doomed before it even leaves the dock, despite knowing that Jack is going to needlessly freeze to death in the water even though there is enough room for he and Rose on that plank of wood, I will still watch this every time it comes on.  I may be a glutton for punishment.

#5  Coneheads (1993)
I'm not good at remembering, let alone interjecting movie lines into everyday conversation.  (My husband has the monopoly on that talent in our household...  Perhaps that's a blog entry for another day!)  This, however, is the one exception and it's not uncommon to hear me say these quotes from the movie:  


"Maintain low tones with me, maintain low tones!"
"I will enjoy it."
"May I have 55 words with you?"
"It is time for mid-day cessation of activities for carbo-protein intake."
"WARNING! Do not sear the top of your neck hole with the molten lactate extract of hoofed  mammals!"

#4  Weekend at Bernie's(1989)
Totally unrealistic.  Two cheese balls traipsing around the Hamptons with a corpse, who is the life of the party despite his deadness, and no one notices or suspects that anything is odd.  But, so much fun!

#3  Pretty in Pink (1986)
Duckie.  Need I say more?

#2  Desperately Seeking Susan (1985)
The time period of Desperately Seeking Susan is in the edgy, gritty, pre-Giuliani years of NYC in the mid 1980s, long before Times Square became Disney-fied.  Yes, the story is cheesy and the acting equally as corny, but as an 11 year old in rural Appalachia, this movie held so much appeal because it represented life in the BIG city.  I enjoy the fact that it's like a 1985 time capsule.

#1 Saturday Night Fever (1977)
You know, so many people consider disco music to be a guilty pleasure.  Maybe the disco element is responsible for my liking of this movie.  I just don't know why I like it, I just know that I do!

So, what do you think?  Do we share the guilt on any of the same movies?  What are some of yours?  Feel free to comment below.  

Thanks for stopping by!

Previous posts in this series:
Guilty Pleasures 1.1 - TV Shows
Guilty Pleasures 1.2 - Books

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...