Thursday, February 16, 2017

Forty-Some Life Lessons I've Learned in My Forty-Something Years...


If something seems too good to be true, it probably is.

It is wise to keep a roll of toilet paper or, at the very least, restaurant napkins in your car at all times.

Timing is everything - from job opportunities to business deals to relationships.

We can fall for the wrong people; we can also fall for the right people at the wrong time in our lives. 

In order to truly live life to the fullest, we must step out of our comfort zones.


The generic brand is sometimes just as good as and is sometimes better than the name brand.

However, sometimes the name brand is still the best.

Much of life is trial and error.

You cannot reason with the unreasonable, you cannot rationalize with the irrational, you cannot make the uncaring care, and you cannot make sense of the nonsensical.

Going outside with wet hair in the winter will not make you sick; germs and viruses make you sick.  It will, however, elicit unwanted comments from people telling you that you're going to get sick.

When you're sick and contagious, the best thing you can do, especially for those whom you may come in contact with, is to stay home.

Gut feelings exist for a reason. Don't ignore them. 



Every person who enters your life is a teacher, someone from whom you can learn something.


It is important to marry someone whom you enjoying hanging out with. Friendship is important in a marriage.


After you marry, be sure to continue dating your spouse.  Dress up, go out on dates.  Romance is important in a  marriage, too.

Life is busy, but you must invest in yourself so that you do not become stagnant. Take classes, learn new hobbies, exercise, and go on adventures.

It is unrealistic for you to think that everyone is going to like you. You are not going to be everyone's "cup of tea" and that's perfectly fine.

Control is an illusion.

Karma is real. 

Money can make things easier, but it doesn't necessarily solve all problems.

There is a distinct difference between acquaintances and friends.

Use sunscreen regularly and apply liberally.

Your feelings, regardless of what they are, are yours; there's no right or wrong feeling to feel. You should never apologize for feeling how you feel. 

Toxic people will do their best to poison you. It is up to you to provide a protective barrier around your mind.

People will come and go in and out of your life. The whole "reason, season, lifetime" saying is true. Not everyone who enters your life is supposed to stay long term. 



When some people leave your life, they will leave such an incredible void, a void so vast that you will physically feel their absence.  

It's okay to miss those people.

Eat the desserts and goodies that you really enjoy from time to time; skip the ones that you don't like and that are not worth the calories.

Get to know your grandparents because there will come a day, in the not so distant future, in which they will no longer be here.  Do the same with your parents.  We have a tendency to think that we have all the time in the world, but sadly, we do not.

A broken heart and alcohol is a bad combination; pairing those things with a smartphone and you have the potential for a complete and utter embarrassing moment.

Be truly appreciative of compliments you receive. 


It is of the utmost importance to take care of your teeth. 

Having friends of the opposite sex and of different generations is truly beneficial. There is much to be learned from their perspectives and experiences.

You mustn't be afraid to march to beat of your own drummer. Be authentically you and never apologize for being yourself.

Saving some money is better than saving none. Establish a savings plan early and make saving a habit.

Back up your music and photos from your phone to a secondary source. You never know when your device is going to go for a swim, take a leap, or go for a walk. 

Invest in good shoes and good bras.

There is a distinct difference between beautiful and sexy.

Airing your dirty laundry on Facebook or any social media makes you look like an idiot.

Having a phone conversation via speakerphone in public makes you look like a an asshole with an over inflated sense of self.

Agreeing to disagree is one of the most mature actions you can take.

How someone treats animals and wait staff says a lot about that person's character.

It's alright if your profession is not your life's passion.

Just because something is fashionable and comes in your size, that doesn't mean you should wear it.

Not everyone looks at life from a perspective similar to yours. Be open minded and have empathy.


Life is not easy, life is not fair, but life can be good.

Love is a gift.  When you love, love fully, love completely, and love with no regrets.

Be ever thankful for the air you breathe, for the wondrous sights your eyes gaze upon, for the people who love you, and for each day you are given in this life.

Linking up with:

13 comments:

  1. my mom is of the "if you go outside without a coat, you'll get sick!" ilk. It annoys me because I always say - NO IT CAN'T!!!

    100% yes to agree to disagree! there are times where I say this to my husband during an argument and we both look at each other, nod and then move on with our lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Yes, I've heard the wet hair getting sick thing my entire life and it hasn't happened yet. My hair did, however, freeze one winter which was rather interesting... LOL!

      Delete
  2. As always great insight from different angles of life . I always laugh when I hear the saying bundle up the cold will get you sick. You can learn something new everyday if you stay open minded and don't ever stop learning. I have lost all 4 of my grandparents and wish I could see and talk to them again. Thanks for the wisdom you are not afraid to share.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ALL good advice. I wish more people would consider some of these things.
    I know not everyone will like me, professionally, but I don't understand the why of it sometimes, you know? That's been a hard pill to swallow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can understand that. It took me a while to learn and be ok with the fact that not everyone is going to like me personally or professionally. When I first started in my career, it really bothered me. Now, 17 years into my profession - not so much.

      Delete
  4. Very good advice, especially the karma one!

    Stopping by from the link up :)

    Visit my blog - bluesfansforever.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. So much good stuff here. I especially like this one: "Every person who enters your life is a teacher, someone from whom you can learn something." But, there are so many I can relate to that I'm sure if I read this a few days from now, I would pull a different one and say that resonated on that day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, friend. This was a hard list to whittle down. I started just free writing things, a few here, a few there. Within a few days, I had over 70! I consolidated many and eliminated some.

      I like that one, too. On a personal level, that one has hit very close to home several times during the past 6 months.

      Delete
  6. The one about everyone being a teacher made me pause until I considered the flip side that we can learn by not making the same mistakes as others. Good list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, exactly. Everyone who enters our lives can teach us something. It might sometimes be direct and intentionally, other times it may be pure accident, and sometimes it's indirect. Thank you for the compliment!

      Delete
  7. Giving some blogger love to you here at the #mg linky. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is so true! "You cannot reason with the unreasonable", I have tried an failed! Great list, had to have a giggle, and nodded along to them. I agree we need good bras but I hate wearing one! #mg Thanks so much for joining in this week, great to have you back xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...