Tuesday, October 16, 2018

On Hiatus to Cleanse the Bitter Taste of Life from My Soul

September was, in a word - hard.  It was one of those crazily busy months where, no matter how late I stayed at work or how much paperwork I worked on at home, which is something I typically do not do, I could not catch up. 

It was one of those months where the weather wasn't very cooperative either.  The first half of the month was insanely hot and humid and the second half made me feel as if we here in the Ohio Valley had entered the monsoon season.  I had high hopes of getting outside and doing several things on the weekends, but my plans were ultimately thwarted by the weather.

If I had to describe the month of September, I'd describe it as blah, meh, tiring, and soul sucking.  It was completely devoid of joy and as a result, my spirits throughout the month were rather low.  In the eternal words of Bruce Springsteen, I was bored and tired of myself.  

If there's one thing I've discovered in the past 2-3 years, it is that being bored with myself isn't good. Boredom, for me, often leads to complacency for the status quo which often then develops into a full-on life rut.  I've been down that rut-filled road before and it's not a fun place to be.  

Sadly, getting stuck in a rut is easy to do and it can happen before you know it.  We, as a society, can get so busy in the work of working and in making a living that the things that bring us true happiness, the things that make us feel alive, often get shoved to the back burner.  That's exactly what happened to me in September.

Looking back, I did very little in September that brought me joy.  I worked, tended to my basic needs, and (sadly) watched an overwhelming amount of mind numbing TV because I was either too exhausted to do anything else or I was stuck in the house.  I let the busyness of life interfere with me doing things that make me happy, things that make life worth living.  What finally made me realize that this had happened, was a simple meme I saw on Facebook:



As soon as I saw this, I instantly related and I acknowledged by saying, "Damn straight." 

September, without a shadow of doubt, did just that - left a bitter taste of life on my soul that needs cleansing ASAP.  So, realizing that and knowing firsthand what boredom and complacency can potentially develop into, I intend to nip this soul sucking boredom in the bud and have myself a little adventure.  I refuse to ever lose my mojo again.




Let's go!



I'm currently on Fall Break, enjoying simply being "Ericka" and not "Mrs. B., speech pathologist" for a few precious days. While on this break from work, I'm also taking a brief hiatus from blogging so I can fully engage in some activities that bring me joy.  I wish you well and will see you later this month.

Ericka

12 comments:

  1. September was similar for me. There was just so much work and being brain dead at home that by October I really needed a break from life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least I was not alone in this anomaly! I hope to never have another September, or any month, like last month again. Hoping October treated you kinder!

      Delete
  2. My work life is like that most of the year not just one month

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy your break! The beauty of the extended-school-year schedule :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very sensible. Have a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i LOVE LOVE LOVE the last image you posted. am stealing it and tweeting it, but i, damn straight, will give you credit for it, and link back to this post. love you, lady. be good to yourself! :]

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...