Friday, May 31, 2019

My Happy List - What I Enjoyed in May (Vol. 8)


In keeping with my plan to periodically "check-in" and share some of the things that have brought me enjoyment, (ENJOY is my word of the year, after all), please allow me to share a sampling of the things that I enjoyed in May.

I enjoyed...

May 2...  attending Thurby (the name given to the day of racing at Churchill Downs the Thursday before the Kentucky Derby) with my speech path buddies, Ka and H.  We enjoyed the weather, the abundant opportunities for "people watching," being off from work, and being able to spend the day together.

4...  spending a quiet day at home, watching the Kentucky Derby on TV, and making bad bets from the comfort of my living room.


9...  having dinner with two very dear friends whom I used to work with at my previous school.

15...  the phone conversation with my octogenarian grandparents during my afternoon commute.

21...  dinner with my former carpool buddies on a day when I   desperately needed a time-out from life.  It was nice just to do something "normal" for a few hours.*

24...  joining my R's siblings for a few hours to listen to a live band and celebrate my brother-in-law's 60th birthday.

29...  watching Aladdin.



And, because a friend of mine pointed out that I posted my April Happy List post before the month was "officially" over, here's a bonus item:

April 27...  finishing the KDF Mini Marathon in less time than it took me last year and establishing a new PR.





Have a wonderful weekend!

Linking up with:




*I despise cryptic messages, so I'd like to elaborate as to why I needed so do something "normal" on the 21st. Three days before, on May 18, my stepson died of cardiac arrest. He was 23 years old.  We are, as one would expect, still adjusting to our new normal.

8 comments:

  1. It really is the little things that make us happy. Especially when we need to feel more normal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The new normal will take time to adjust to but nothing wrong in doing something normal when you feel the need. We all grieve in different ways but I don't think any of us would want our loved ones to stop living their lives after we've gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree. My stepson would not want anyone to stop doing things they enjoyed because of this.

      Delete
  3. I am so so sorry about your stepson. Peace and love to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Ericka, I'm so sorry to hear about your step-son. That is such a young age to pass away, so much life ahead of you at 23, man. That's tragic. My deepest condolences to you and your family hun.
    Watching the Kentucky Derby from home and making bad bets from your couch. <-- Priceless. LOL
    You look great in your mini marathon pic, Ericka.

    Take care my friend. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you (for both the condolences and the compliment about my 1/2 marathon picture). Yes, 23... yes, in many ways he was an adult, but in the grand scheme of things he was still a kid. This is one of those times in which life makes no sense.

      Thank you again.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...