Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Top Ten Tuesday: Inspirational and Thought Provoking Quotes From Books


This is actually a prompt from earlier this year, which I missed from some reason or another - whomp, whomp...  But, given that today's prompt is a freebie, I've been given a second chance.  Yay!  Without further ado, here are some of the most inspirational and thought provoking quotes from books that I've come across in recent years:   


~~~

"Everyone is a hundred different things, but in other people's eyes we usually get the chance to be only one of them." 
- from Us Against You by Frederik Backman

"Culture isn't just what we encourage but what we allow to happen." 
- from Us Against You by Fredrik Backman

"Everything's a risk.  Not doing anything is a risk.  It's up to you." 
- from Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon

"Maybe you can afford to wait.  Maybe for you there's a tomorrow.  Maybe for you there's one thousand tomorrows or three thousand or ten, so much time you can bathe in it, roll around in it, let it slide like coins through your fingers.  So much time you can waste it.  But for some of us, there's only today.  And the truth is, you never really know." 
- from Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

"One morning you wake up with more life behind you than in front of you, not being able to understand how it's happened."  
- from Britt-Marie Was Here by Fredrik Backman


"When you're given an opportunity to change your life, be ready to do whatever it takes to make it happen. The world doesn't give things, you take things." 
- from The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid

"Make sure, as often as possible, you are doing something you’d be happy to die doing."
- from The Humans by Matt Haig

"Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it. You have to participate relentlessly in the manifestations of your own blessings. And once you have achieved a state of happiness, you must never become lax about maintaining it. You must make a mighty effort to keep swimming upward into that happiness forever, to stay afloat on top of it." 
- from Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

"Passion is...it's fire. And fire is great, man. But we're made of water. Water is how we keep living. Water is what we need to survive.  My family was my water.  I picked water.  I'll pick water every time." 
- from Daisy Jones & The Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid

"There’s something about swimsuits that make you think you’ve got to earn the right to wear them. And that’s wrong. Really, the criteria is simple. Do you have a body? Put a swimsuit on it." 
- from Dumplin' by Julie Murphy 

13 comments:

  1. Nice take on this week's topic! I like the quote from Before I Fall. Here is my Top Ten Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These were lovely quotes. Thanks for sharing them.

    My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some good ones in here! Love the Daisy quote, I remember that from reading it. That's not always the case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So very, very true... There were several really good Daisy quotes that I considered using. I also love "Men often think they deserve a sticker for treating women like people." and "I'm not going to sit around sweating my ass off just so men can feel more comfortable. It's not my responsibility not to turn them on. It's their responsibility to not be an asshole."

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing! One of my favorite things about reading books on my phone via an app is that I can highlight away -- quotes -- and not damage a "real" book. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is indeed a plus! I often do that on my Kindle. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Nice topics for this week. talked about Evelyn Hugo and Daisy Jones this week as well. Here is my post https://paigesofbook.blogspot.com/2019/07/top-ten-tuesday-top-ten-books-of-first.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, TJR... I tell you what, I might have a book crush on her. LOL! She has yet to disappoint me and I've read several of her works.

      Delete
  6. Wow I really like this prompt! I'm bummed I missed it (I probably wasn't blogging back then), but I'm glad you brought it back!

    -Leelynn @ Sometimes Leelynn Reads

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I love this topic so much! It was one of my favourites so I'm stoked to see you using it. Great picks for your quotes, too. Especially the Taylor Jenkins Reid ones. I loved them, too, and she is just brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That last quote makes me so happy. I always feel gross and ugly in swimsuits. And why? You have to swim in something. (Or, I guess skip swimming altogether.) But really no one should have to earn the right to wear a swimsuit.

    I also liked the one about culture being "what we allow to happen". How true is that?

    Of course, all of the quotes were great! I loved reading them! Thanks for sharing! :)

    With Love,
    Mandy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...