Tuesday, April 26, 2016

V is for Van Halen & Van Hagar

Van Halen is a hard rock band that was formed in Pasadena, CA in 1972.  From 1974 to 1985, the band consisted of David Lee Roth on vocals, Eddie Van Halen on guitar, Michael Anthony on bass, and Alex Van Halen on drums.
Via
I was about eleven years old when David Lee Roth released his solo EP, Crazy From the Heat.  He departed Van Halen shortly thereafter due to what many have called "artistic differences" with Eddie Van Halen.

Due to my age and the timing of Diamond Dave's departure, most of my musical exposure and song memories of Van Halen are of the second generation of the band, the lineup that was fronted by Sammy Hagar.  Eventually, this lineup would be dubbed the nickname "Van Hagar" as a way of distinguishing it from the original lineup.
Via
Sammy Hagar departed Van Halen in 1996.  Since then, there have been several new versions of the band with varying lineups.  Currently, the band is comprised of Eddie Van Halen, Alex Van Halen, David Lee Roth, and Wolfgang Van Halen (Eddie's son with actress Valerie Bertinelli).
Via
Today I give you my Top Ten Favorite Van Halen and/or Van Hagar Songs.

10) I'll Wait (1984, from the album 1984)



9) Dance the Night Away (1979, Van Halen II)


8) Why Can't This Be Love (1986, from the album 5150)


7) Right Now (1991, For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge)


6) Can't Stop Lovin' You (1995, Balance)


5) Dreams (1986, 5150)


4) Panama (1984,1984)


3) Jump (1984,1984)


2) Love Walks In (1986, 5150)


1) Humans Being (1996, Twister motion picture soundtrack)


Do you prefer Van Halen fronted by David Lee Roth or Sammy Hagar?  Have a favorite Van Halen song?  If so, please feel free to chime in below.  As always, thanks for stopping by!


This is the twenty-second of twenty-six alphabetized blog entries I am publishing this month as a part of the 2016 Blogging A to Z Challenge.  Many bloggers who participate in this challenge, select a theme.  My theme is - "Whatever I Think Of."  


For more information on the Blogging from A to Z April Challenge, click here.

10 comments:

  1. I like both and often get crap about it. I probably prefer Van Hagar on the whole.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! There's another human being out there who prefers Van Hagar! I am always in the minority on this and my husband thinks I am crazy. He's older than me, so he had more exposure to VH with DLR than I did. Hell, VH was all over the radio and MTV during my junior high years, so that's the VH I grew up with. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. I have to say I like them no matter who was or wasn't in the band. Never a huge fan of them but I had a friend who was. I guess during my peak timing for music growing up I was a grunge kid!

    ReplyDelete
  3. David Lee Roth >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> that other guy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who do I prefer fronting Van Halen? DLR. But, I enjoy Sammy as well and both generations have songs that I enjoy. Humans Being surprised me. I love Dance the Night Away and would definitely keep Panama, Dreams, and Why Can't This Be Love. I'd probably also include Beautiful Girls, Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love, Hot for Teacher, Everybody Wants Some, maybe Standing on top of the World. I don't know, I'd have to think to create my personal top 10. Those are just the ones that jumped in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Top of the World would come in at #11. Most people are surprised by my liking of Humans Being. There's just something about it that I particularly like. Hard to explain.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A friend of mine turned me onto Van Halen within days of the first album's release. By the time of "Van Hagar", I was WAY OVER them. But that first album absolutely rocked my world, as it was stunningly revolutionary (thanks entirely to Eddie's guitar work).

    Favorite song? Well, I'm almost always the "odd man out" in everything, and I can't imagine ANYONE ELSE choosing the same way but... favorite song? Without a shred (or "TAP") of doubt: 'LITTLE DREAMER'.

    "I had to tell 'em, baby, you were armed with...
    All you'd need!"

    ~ D-FensDogG
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Van Halen. My personal favourite is with David Lee Roth. I even have Eat 'em and Smile and Skyscraper on CD. AS for Van Halen, I have the original, 1984, 5150 & OU812.
    I like your top songs, especially the earlier ones with Roth.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...