Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Top Ten Tuesday: Back to School Freebie



A Book I Read Before I Started School


I Have a Turtle by Kathy Bing
Legend has it that I could read this book before I started kindergarten.  Truth is, my grandmother had read this book to me so many times that I probably had it memorized.

~~~

A Book I Read in Elementary School


The House on the Cliff by Franklin W. Dixon
Forget Nancy Drew!  I was a Hardy Boys fan all the way!

~~~

A Book I Read in Junior High


Years by LaVyrel Spencer
Yeah, I know what you're thinking...  I agree, this book probably was little too mature for me at the time.  LOL!

~~~

A Book I Read in High School


The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
I usually didn't care for books that I was assigned to read in school, but I really liked this one.

~~~

A Book I Read in College


The Pelican Brief by John Grisham 
I was an avid Grisham reader when I was in college.  His books provided a much needed escape from required reading.

~~~

A Book I Should've Read in School, But Didn't


To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
I'm not sure why this book wasn't mandatory at my high school, but it wasn't.  I did finally read it about a year ago.

~~~

A Book I Read in High School But Don't Remember


Hiroshima by John Hersey
This was an assigned reading for a history class.  I know what happened at Hiroshima, but I have no recollection of the details of this book.

~~~

A Book That Took Me Back to High School


Twilight by Stephanie Meyer
One of the things that made this book so stinking addictive was how it transported me back to my high school years.  When I read this book, so many memories of that time period, including my first boyfriend, came flooding back. 
  
~~~
  
A Book That Took Me Back to College 



Beautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuire
I pictured the setting for this book, which takes place on a college campus, as the campus of Marshall University.  This book also conjured up many college memories that I had long forgotten.


~~~

A Book That I Use A Lot in Speech Therapy (in an elementary school)


The Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney
I've listened to the passage about the "cheese touch" dozens of times and I still crack up! 


What book(s) do you associate with school?


Linking up with:

    Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and the Bookish in June of 2010 and was moved to That Artsy Reader Girl in January of 2018. It was born of a love of lists, a love of books, and a desire to bring bookish friends together. 

    9 comments:

    1. To Kill a Mockingbird was such a good read. I think every school should teach it.

      Here is our Top Ten Tuesday.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. I think it's so weird how some books are/were mandatory at certain schools and not at others. Granted, I went through school before curriculum had standards that were universal across a school system, let alone a state like it is now, so teachers had so much more free rein to do whatever they wanted. I'm glad I finally got around to reading TKaM. I was very impressed.

        Delete
    2. What a fun way to think about your reading! I read a lot of really mature books in junior high and high school. I associate The Secret History with college, that's when it came out and a friend had an advanced copy.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you! Even though I completely skipped over any introduction, I guess my list would be something like, "Books Over the Continuum of My School Life."

        Delete
    3. That's fun to see a Hardy Boys book on your list. My son started reading those in elementary school and is still enjoying the series now that he's in middle school.

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thank you! Here's a funny story about that book. I remember reading several Hardy Boys books when I was a kid, but I couldn't remember any of the titles. But, I knew if I saw the covers, that I'd remember. So, thanks to the power of the internet, I was able to view the covers and I figured out 4 of them.

        Delete
    4. My school never did To Kill a Mockingbird either.

      I read one Nancy Drew book once but I don't think I ever read any Hardy Boys. Neither was particularly popular in the UK. I only read the Nancy Drew book because I found it in a charity shop and I remembered Claudia from the Babysitter's Club being obsessed with them!

      ReplyDelete
    5. I don't normally read classics but I have read The Great Gatsby. I didn't read it in high school, I read it after seeing the movie and yeah really enjoyed it to my surprise.
      Also Twilight is definitely a book that takes me back to high school, I had a pretty epic Twilight fan phase back then! :D
      Great post, and great picks for this week as well. :)

      ReplyDelete
    6. I read To Kill A Mockingbird in school but to be honest I can't recall any of it!

      ReplyDelete

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...