Thursday, August 30, 2018

Four Corners Monument - See or Skip?


Out in the middle of the desert in the American Southwest is the Four Corners Monument - the only place in the United States where four states meet.  And, according to several online sources, there aren't many other places in the world where this happens.  Given this geographical oddity, that probably explains why so many visitors to the region drive themselves way out into the middle of nowhere to see and stand on a flat, bronze and granite, circular shaped plaque that designates where the states of Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, and Arizona meet at a single point.

Earlier this summer, I visited the Four Corners Monument, which is located approximately 40 miles southwest of Cortez, CO, while en route from Mesa Verde National Park to Monument Valley.  The drive to Four Corners Monument from Cortez along US 160 traverses some extremely remote and desolate areas of the Southwest.  Believe me when I say that  it's truly in the middle of nowhere.  



The Four Corners Monument is owned and operated by the Navajo Nation.  In order to get into the park to capture a Kodak moment, visitors must stop at the gate and pay a $5.00 per person entrance fee.  After those in my group forked over our money and parked the car, we set out across the red, sandy earth towards the monument. 

As I explained in my road trip recap, I'm not entirely sure what I was expecting to see, but I do think it was something...  bigger, something monumental, or at the very least, something that looked more like a monument rather than just a survey marker.



But, I when it's all said and done, that's exactly what it is - a fancy survey marker.

So, this leads me back to the question at hand - is the Four Corners Monument something you must see or skip?

If you're in the vicinity, like en route to somewhere, then I would suggest stopping to enjoy this kitschy piece of Americana tourist trap.  My family and I had a good time taking photos of each other in various states and the visit also allowed us to get out of the car for a bit and stretch our legs.  Visiting the Four Corners Monument also helped me cross New Mexico off my "states to visit list."  Win-win!  Keep in mind that there's a $5 per person entry fee (not per car) and that you'll probably only be there for 15-20 minutes tops. While not terribly expensive, if you are traveling with a large family, this could be a budget buster. 


If you are nowhere near the Four Corners area, I wouldn't recommend driving out of your way to see this. There are so many other worthwhile sights in the area that I would recommend instead, such as Monument Valley and Mesa Verde National Park.  

Have you ever visited the Four Corner Monument?  If you have, what are your thoughts - see or skip?



Linking up with:


Wednesday Around the World

10 comments:

  1. I like the foot shot. I haven't done a good foot shot in awhile. And it's nice to have traveling feet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We "shuffled" around and got shots of each of us standing in each state. LOL!

      Delete
  2. I am the person who will drive 40 miles out of the way to stand in four different states in a little ground marker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rock on, girl! Hope you get to visit it! The entire area is great.

      Delete
  3. I've driven by it many times, but never felt the need to stop. I'm glad people stop though, the Navajo Nation can use any penny it gets, I just chose to support them in other ways. On the other hand, it really is a great place to stop and stretch your legs, if you're on the road in that part of the world, you've probably been driving for a long time. We almost stoped last time we drove by it, just to get out of the car, but no one was interested, so we skipped in once again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are definitely good reasons to stop and good reasons to drive right on by. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. I live in Colorado, so it's not too far from me. I hope to be able to go there someday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do they have an ice cream van? I like kitschy places if I can also get a couple of scoops of mint chocolate chip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I don't remember one, but there were several stands set up and some sold food. Perhaps one could hook you up with that mint chocolate chip!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...