Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Show Us Your Books - Best Of 2018


2018 is almost history.  But, before the ball drops and the new year is ushered in, please join me as I share my "Best of" books of 2018.  In keeping with last year's "senior superlatives" type list, here are this year's honors:



Best Book I Read That Is Still Relatively Unknown
The Running Dream by Wendelin Van Draanen


The Running Dream, the story of a runner who loses part of her leg in an accident and how the experience opens her eyes to the experience of a classmate, has 21,138 ratings on Goodreads and 3,273 reviews.  As far as YA books go, I thought this one was well written, poignant, and packed a punch in a short amount of time. 



Best Unexpected Surprise
Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell


I had read two of Rowell's books previously (Landline and Fangirl) and neither "wowed" me like they did other people.  So, I was a little apprehensive about Eleanor & Park.  But, I was pleasantly surprised.  The story and the pop culture references of the 1980s made for a very enjoyable read.


Most Worthy of All the Hoopla
The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid


In my humble opinion, Taylor Jenkins Reid can do no wrong.  


Most Disturbing
Tampa by Alissa Nutting


Oh, man...  As I said in my review of Tampa, Tampa was a hard book for me and I could only stomach it for short periods of time.  But, despite the unsettling content, it was a book that kept me guessing what would happen in the end.


Favorite Character of 2018
Britt-Marie from Britt-Marie Was Here by Fredrik Backman


Backman has a knack of creating quirky, memorable characters whom I find so endearing that I often find myself thinking of them long after I've finished the book.  Just as I've thought about Ove from Backman's, A Man Called Ove, over the years, I've thought a lot about Britt-Marie this year.  Britt-Marie loves lists, bicarbonate of soda, and precision.  In her world, things must be just so.  She dislikes writing things in ink and soccer.  Her many quirks made her very interesting and quite funny. 


Most Beautifully Written


I bestowed this honor upon Celeste Ng's book, Everything I Never Told You, last year.  Ng has a writing style that is eloquent and beautiful without being lofty and arrogant.  She has been a pleasure to read.


~~~

What are some of the best books you read this year?  Please share, for I'm always on the lookout for a great read!

I hope this finds you having had a wonderful holiday season!  May 2019 bring you much happiness, good health, and great reads!  


 Linking up with Steph and Jana




25 comments:

  1. I have never read a Celeste Ng book. I should probably get round to that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would HIGHLY recommend Celeste Ng and I'd suggest reading Everything I Never Told You. Happy New Year!

      Delete
  2. I loved how you picked different categories! I read Little Fires Everywhere this year and really enjoyed it too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, Eleanor & Park is so delightful. I wish she would write more. I think that was my favourite of hers, the other two you mentioned I wasn't a huge fan of. I agree with your opinion on TJR. I keep meaning to read Tampa because everyone has said the same things - disturbing, but so good. I quite liked the grandmother book from Backman, and Britt-Marie is in that, so it's on my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I own Attachments, but haven't read it yet. I hope I like it as well as I liked E&P. Tampa was crazy... I couldn't read it for very long periods of time, but I couldn't quit reading it either. It may be the book that has evoked the strongest feelings in me EVER. My Grandmother... (by Backman) is my least favorite book by the author. Happy New Year!

      Delete
  4. So many good books on your list! E&P is probably my favorite Rowell book, after Attachments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have Attachments, I just haven't read it yet. Happy New Year!

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed Fangirl but didn't love it. I keep starting attachments and not getting more than a chapter or two in. Always something more pressing to read. I haven't read Eleanor and Park yet. need to read more TJR. I'm not quite where everyone else is yet. Though I haven't read The Seven Husbands yet. I loved Ove and can't wait to read more Backman. :) OX - Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I own Attachments, but haven't read it yet. Unfortunately, I've acquired a lot of audiobook credits and audiobooks, but I'm not reading/listening to as many as I was when my commute was longer. TJR... I swear, so far she can do no wrong. I'm highly anticipating Daisy Jones and the Six. Ove is still my favorite Backman character, but Britt-Marie was great (as was Beartown). Happy New Year!

      Delete
  6. Eleanor and Park is one of my all-time favorite novels, so I’m very excited to see it made the list! Little Fires Everywhere made my list this year too. Tampa is on my list, but I feel like I have to mentally prepare for it and I just haven’t been ready yet. Seven Husbands has made the list a lot on this linkup, I’ll definitely need to move it up on my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be completely honest, I, too, had to mentally prepare for Tampa before I read it. I work in a school, so the content hit very close to home for me. I've been like that with other books, too (having to be in the right mindset). Happy New Year!

      Delete
  7. I like how you did superlatives. While I really loved Fangirl, I still need to read Eleanor & Park and I'm glad that you enjoyed it! I also need to read Seven Husbands!

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you like Eleanor & Park! Oh, The Seven Husbands... was such a great read! Hope you enjoy it! Happy New Year!

      Delete
  8. A couple of these are on my list. I also read Tampa this year and I agree its the most disturbing book Ive read for the year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would even go a little further and say that Tampa is the one book that evoked the strongest feelings of anger in me. EVER. That in itself says A LOT!

      Happy New Year!

      Delete
  9. Celeste NG is a beautiful writer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't read Eleanor and Park yet- maybe 2019 will be the year! I got Little Fires Everywhere for Christmas and can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! You sound like me - maybe {insert year here} will be the year! :) . I hope you enjoy Little Fires Everywhere! Happy New Year!

      Delete
  11. E&P was my first Rowell book and the subsequent books were disappointing to me as well. Evelyn is amazing. She was my top pick for 2017. I haven't read Tampa yet, although it's on my TBR. I'm so curious about it. And I really need to read Celeste Ng too. It's kind of embarrassing that I haven't already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting about E&P and how the others were disappointing. Tampa, for me, required me to be in a certain mindset; so you may have to do the same. When/if you read Celeste Ng, I'd recommend starting with Everything I Never Told You.

      Happy New Year!

      Delete
  12. I had Evelyn Hugo on my list as well! I loved Eleanor and Park. Need to read Britt Marie in 2019!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have been meaning to read Eleanor & Park for quite some time now, I am just going to have to check it out at the library ha ha! Tampa sounds interesting, I might have to try to read it... maybe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tampa is one of those books that bothered me on so many levels. I must give the author credit, because that's something that doesn't happen to me very often from a book. I recommend it, but recommend it with caution.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...