Wednesday, July 25, 2018

When 1987 and 2018 Collide

In the summer of 1987, I was 13 years old.  Dragnet, Beverly Hills Cop II, Innerspace, The Lost Boys, and Dirty Dancing were in the movie theaters.  Gas prices were under a buck, the sitcom Full House debuted on ABC, Reagan was still in office, and acid-washed jeans were all the craze.  That August, I started the eighth grade.  Around the same time, Def Leppard released their long awaited, highly anticipated, fourth studio album, Hysteria.  



For the next two years, long after I had left junior high and started high school, Def Leppard was everywhere. With seven hit singles from their multi-platinum album - "Rocket," "Women," "Hysteria," "Animal," "Armageddon It," "Love Bites," and the perennial classic, "Pour Some Sugar on Me" - the boys from Sheffield, England absolutely dominated the radio airwaves and their videos received heavy rotation on MTV (back when MTV actually played music videos).  Everywhere you turned, Def Leppard was there. Because of their omnipresence in everyday life, many of my memories of that time period have Def Leppard songs tethered to them, thus contributing songs to the soundtrack of my early teenage life. To this day, Hysteria remains one of my favorite albums of all time.

Two weeks ago, I saw Def Leppard in concert, 31 years after the release of Hysteria and 26 years after the first time I saw them in concert (in 1992). 

Much has changed over the years.  The lead singer, Joe Elliott, lost his mullet long ago and can no longer hit the high notes like he used to.  All of the guys had more lines on their faces and less hair on their heads. The audience, who once consisted of boisterous teenagers and young adults who fiercely head-banged along with the music, was predominately comprised of mainly middle-aged folks like myself who preferred to sit down and watch the show rather than stand.  

But, despite all the changes, as soon as Def Leppard took the stage and opened with "Rocket," the past three decades slowly melted away and by the second or third song I felt like I was 13 again.  For nearly two precious hours, I was transported back to a time when life was simple, a time when I had no job, no mortgage, and no adult responsibilities.  







Thank you, Def Leppard, for the great trip down memory lane and for the brief, yet wonderful respite from "adulting."

And, just for kicks, here's a little "infomercial" that you might find amusing.



Have you ever been to a concert that made you feel like you did when you were young(er)?



Linking up with:


7 comments:

  1. I love this! It was not as far back in time, but I saw the Counting Crows last summer for the first time since 1996, and it took me right back to college and those blissful no responsibility days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG def leppard hahahaha. talk about memory lane. the last concert i went to (bruno mars), it made me realize that i'm too old to go to concerts - the young people, the crowds, the screaming..... i'd rather watch in the comfort of my own home on youtube! #lame

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The crowd at this concert (they were co-headlining with Journey) was quite sedate in comparison to other concerts I've attended over the years. But, then... most of us in the audience were middle aged. I will admit, too, that I wore earplugs once Journey took the stage (I know, how ironic!). The guitarists amp was turned up too loud and my ears actually started to hurt.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing. I loved the Hysteria album, too. I haven't been to a concert in a long while. I should probably make a point of doing that. I am very vocalcentric and I can't tolerate listening to bands who don't have their original singer. Ha ha. Def Leopard would be okay for me. My son has been to a few concerts over the last few years that I have been jealous of: Primus, Faith No More, and Metalica. I didn't think he and his friends would have wanted me tagging along. 😂

    Thanks for sharing your photos, too. 👍

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have loved Def Leppard since before Hysteria came out! I saw them in concert a couple years ago, with Poison & Lita Ford. But we were on all on our feet all night, singing along, and the people watching was excellent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seeing Poison and Lita would be fun! Talk about a blast from the past!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...