Monday, August 1, 2016

Challenges, Challenges! (SCSBC16 2nd Month & Book Challenge by Erin 5.0 1st Month)


Today my blog is pulling double duty, as I am checking in with the two book challenges I've been participating in this summer:  Megan's SCSBC16 and Book Challenge by Erin 5.0.


COMPLETED ON JULY 18, 2016!

POINTS ACCUMULATED:  200/200
BOOKS READ: 12/12
CATEGORIES COMPLETED: 10/10
*Categories completed in June are in gray

30 points: A micro-history.
As You Wish: Inconceivable Tales from the Making of The Princess Bride by Gary Elwes

259 pages | Format: Audiobook | Read June 1-3 | My rating: 5/5

20 points: A book that you have previously only seen the film (movie) of.
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum

156 pages | Format:  Audiobook | Read June 3-5 | My rating: 3/5

40 points: Two books - both must contain the same word in the title, but one book contains the singular form and the other book contains the plural form. 

1) The 9th Girl by Tami Hoag
405 pages | Format:  Audiobook | Read June 6-8 | My rating: 4/5

2) The Pretty 
Girls by Karin Slaughter

688 pages | Format:  Audiobook | Read June 26-30 | My rating: 4/5

10 points: A collection of short stories or essays. 

Beneath the Bonfire by Nickolas Butler  
The Opposite of Loneliness: Essays and Stories by Marina Keegan
208 pages | Format: Audiobook | Read: June 9-11 | My rating: 4/5

30 points: One book with a good word in the title, and one with a bad word. 
1) Title w/ GOOD word (redhead...b/c my husband is a redhead)

Real Happiness by Sharon Salzberg 
The Unidentified Redhead by Alice Clayton
276 pages | Format: Audiobook | Read June 16-26 | My rating: 4/5

2) Title w/ BAD word (sick...'cause nobody likes to be sick)

The Opposite of Loneliness: Essays and Stories by Marina Keegan 
Sick Puppy by Carl Hiaasen 
464 pages | Format: Audiobook | Read June 9-16 | My rating: 4/5


10 points: An adult fiction book written by an author who normally writes books for children. 
Wifey by Judy Blume
288 pages | Format: Paperback | Read June 29-July 10 | My rating: 3.5/5

15 points: A book set in Appalachia.
Home to Big Stone Gap by Adriana Trigiani
305 pages | Format: Audiobook | Read July 1-3 | My rating: 4/5

25 points: A book with a "punny" title.
Are You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea by Chelsea Handler
264 pages | Format: Audiobook | Read July 4-6 | My rating: 3/5

15 points: A book with a cover you personally find unappealing.
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

374 pages | Format: Audiobook | Read July 10-17 | My rating: 5/5

5 points: Freebie! 
Dancing with Myself by Billy Idol
352 pages | Format: Audiobook | Read July 7-18 | My rating: 3.5/5

My favorite books from this challenge are As You Wish and Ready Player One.  


*Reviews of Wifey, Home to Big Stone Gap, Are You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea, Ready Player One, and Dancing with Myself will be available on Tuesday Aug. 9 in my monthly post Recently Read.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



  • The challenge will run from July 1, 2016 to October 31, 2016. No books that are started before 12 a.m. on July 1 or finished after 11:59 p.m. on October 31 will count.  (We live in different time zones – follow this according to your own time zone.)
  • Each book must be at least 200 pages long.   Audio books are fine too.
  • A book can only be used for one category, and each category can only be completed once. If you want to switch the category of a book, or change the book you originally chose, no worries. 
  • You can read your books in any order you choose.
  • Rereads can be used only once.  If a book you love fits into a category, go ahead and visit it again. Read it in its entirety.  But, only do this once for the challenge.
  • There will be a photo album for each category with links to books chosen.  Please comment on the photo for each of your books when you finish reading them.  (ask for help if you need it)  A comment can include a review, a rating, a recommendation…other readers want to hear what you thought of your choice. 
  • There will be 10 book categories with a possibility of earning 200 points.   That’s 10 books in four months.  For some of you, this will be a BIG challenge; for others it will be easy peasy.  It’s all for fun, remember!
  • Book categories will be posted June 1st to give you time to gather books in preparation. 
  • After the categories are posted, please post a preliminary list to the facebook group page with books of your choice according to their categories on the facebook group page by June 15th (if possible). If you need help with a particular category or want a book suggestion, we as a community of reading enthusiasts can help each other.  (Late entries will still be accepted)
  • Participants can join the challenge at any time.
  • The first three people who finish the challenge will be invited to contribute a category for the next challenge. The top winner will get a small prize from me!  Plus, everyone who completes the challenge will gets all sorts of recognition and support!
  • Lastly, have fun.  Don't stress. No one is being judged, graded, or penalized. Even if you finish only one book the entire challenge, if you enjoy it and it's an accomplishment for you, then that's awesome.  


POINTS ACCUMULATED: 110/200
BOOKS READ: 7/10
CATEGORIES COMPLETED: 7/10

10 points: A Book with a Five Word Title
Home to Big Stone Gap by Adriana Trigiani
305 pages | Format: Audiobook | Read July 1-3 | My rating: 4/5

5 points: Freebie 
Are You There, Vodka? It’s Me, Chelsea by Chelsea Handler
264 pages | Format: Audiobook | Read July 4-6 | My rating: 3/5

10 points: A Book Whose Title Starts with the Letter R 
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
374 pages | Format: Audiobook | Read July 10-17 | My rating: 5/5

30 points: A Music Related Book 
Dancing with Myself by Billy Idol
352 pages | Format: Audiobook | Read July 7-18 | My rating: 3.5/5

15 points: A Book with a Mostly Blue Cover
The Edge of Lost by Kristina McMorris
340 pages | Format: Audiobook | Read July 18-22 | My rating: 4/5

20 points: A Book from Popsugar's 100 Books to Read Before They're Movies List 
Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
288 pages | Format: Audiobook | Read July 23-24 | My rating: 4.5/5

20 points: A Book that Features Twins 
Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
433 pages | Format: Hardback | Read July 23-31 | My rating: 4/5

CATEGORIES TO GO

25 points: A Book Set in a Country I Want to Visit 
China Rich Girlfriend by Kevin Kwan (set in China)

30 points: A Historical Fiction Book 
The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah

35 points: A Book Published 100+ Years Ago The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain

*Reviews of Home to Big Stone Gap, Are You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea, Ready Player One, Dancing with Myself, The Edge of Lost, Thirteen Reasons Why, and Fangirl will be available on Tuesday Aug. 9 in my monthly post Recently Read.

Are you participating in either of these challenges?  If so, how's it going?   

As always, thanks for stopping by!

10 comments:

  1. What a fun and clever challenge! Sounds like you've read some good books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, some have been better than others, but some have been really good.

      Delete
  2. Way to go on finishing the SCSBC16! I have to admit the categories seemed really daunting to me this summer, but that's awesome that you completed them all, and in the second month! You're also kicking some butt in Erin's challenge too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The SCSBC16 categories were tough! I was lucky in that I was able to use several books for both challenges.

      Delete
  3. I've read some of these and some are on my TBR list. I will say that you are doing amazing with keeping up with a book challenge. I'm awful at them. Way to go :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I LOVE book challenges. They really get me out of my reading comfort zone.

      Delete
  4. Fantastic!!! I'm only 7 of 12 books for SCSBC16. I didn't originally pick books that worked for both challenges, but I think I'm going to do some shuffling and do that. I've got 3 books that I've been on the library wait list for SCSBC16. I looked this morning, and I'm next up for all three. Hopefully, I'll be able to squeeze them in for August reads!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That's about the only way I can manage two challenges simultaneously - having some books pull double duty. Sometimes finding books that will fit two categories is a challenge in itself! LOL!

      Delete
  5. wow, you are killing it! i am so far behind on challenges! oops.
    i hope you love the nightingale!
    i didn't know they were making Thirteen Reasons Why into a movie.. i wasn't the biggest fan of that book :-|

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I can gather, it's been in production for several years. The most recent information I've seen on it, says that it is being developed into a series on Netflix. My feelings are mixed on the book. It's not a book that I would re-listen to, but I rated it high (4.5/5) because it kept me thoroughly engaged. I thought about the characters a lot, even when I wasn't listening to the audiobook. I found it fascinating, in a morbid kind of way, how something so seemingly harmless and insignificant can snowball and change the trajectory of a life.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...