Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Tuesday Topics - Three Casting Mistakes in Films



Kevin Costner as Robin Hood
Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (1991)


This is probably the first miscasting that I can remember.  Now, don't get me wrong - I like Kevin Costner.  I liked him in Bull Durham, Dances with Wolves, JFK, The Bodyguard, and in the made for TV Hatfields & McCoys.  But, in the 1991 mega-hit, Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, not so much...  My complaint is this - in a movie set in medieval England, where everyone had some sort of non-American English accent, the lead character sounded distinctly American.  It was just weird.


Jason O'Mara as Joe Morelli
One for the Money (2012)


By the time I saw this movie when it was released, which was based on a novel of the same name written by Janet Evanovich in 1994, I had read it and the next 16 books in the Stephanie Plum series.  Needless to say, I had already formed a very solid image of what Stephanie Plum's Italian on-and-off again police officer boyfriend should look like.  Nothing against Jason O'Mara, but he just didn't match my mental image.  I imagined someone with darker hair and darker features.   


Jamie Dornan as Christian Grey
Fifty Shades of Gray (2015)


This is another instance where I read the book before I saw the movie and  had formed a distinct image of what the young business entrepreneur and red room of pain dominant, Christian Grey, should look like.  Jamie Dornan is handsome and all, but there's just something about him that didn't jive with me. I envisioned someone a little more muscular with unruly, dark coppery hair who exuded more bad boy heat.  I know Christian Grey was educated and refined, but Jamie Dornan, in my opinion, was just a little too refined.


What do you think?  Do you have a film character that you think was miscast?

Have a wonderful Tuesday!  Thanks for stopping by!

Linking up with Jenn @ Quirky Pickings

4 comments:

  1. i have never read 50 shades, wasn't that charlie guy from sons of anarchy cast first before jamie dornan? i don't dislike jamie dornan but he wasn't who i would picture either, even if i haven't read the books. i totally didn't see joe as Jason O'Mara either, but i like the movie (it's a 'guilty' pleasure of mine) and i think he was good. i didn't like the other guy though, what is the characters name? not rambo lol. ranger! i had to google it. he was not what i pictured AT ALL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I honestly could not come up with three for this week, so I sat this one out. I haven't seen any of the three movies you mentioned! But I have heard a lot about people not loving the casting in 50 Shades. I'll be back for next week's topics!
    Beth
    The Beth Next Door

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for posting! i'm having issues with the link tools this week. not sure what's up, and with the hurricane and cabin fever, my energies are limited.

    i agree with you on these. i'm not crazy about kevin costner as robin hood, either, but i can tolerate it -- probably because everybody else in that film carries their weight pretty well, i think, especially alan rickman, morgan freeman and michael wincott.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...