Friday, August 18, 2017

Tuesday Topics (Not on Tuesday) - Five Things I Love About My State



Kentucky's proximity to West Virginia (my home state).  It broke my heart when I left West Virginia after finishing college, but I it was something I simply had to do.  Like so many of my friends, I left for economic opportunities.  I've been gone for almost 18 years now and there's not a week that goes by in which I don't miss my family and the mountains.  I'm very thankful that I'm able to drive to my hometown in about 5.5 hours from where I live in Kentucky.

Kentucky's four distinct seasons




How passionate Kentuckians are about the Kentucky Derby, bourbon, and basketball.  I'll admit, this passion has driven me crazy on numerous occasions and my husband's passion for Kentucky basketball, in particular, has caused us some marital strife during our 14 years, but I do admire it.  

The geographic diversity.  To the east are the Appalachian mountains.  To the west is the mighty Mississippi.  In the middle, is the lush, green rolling Bluegrass, where I live.  I love the fact that I can get in my car and go 2-3 hours in any direction and be in a a different geographical region.

The people.  As I mentioned before, it really broke my heart when I left my beloved home state nearly 18 years ago.  Something that made the transition much easier were the people and culture of Kentucky, which are very similar to that of West Virginia.  Honestly, if the people hadn't been as great as they were, especially during my first couple of years here, I don't know if I would've stayed.  

What is something you love about your state?  Please feel free to share.  I love audience participation!  Have a great Friday and an even better weekend!



Linking up with Jenn @ Quirky Pickings 



3 comments:

  1. Four distinct seasons is definitely a plus. Lovely photos

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay! thanks for posting and linking!! i love that you're doing this. THANK you.

    i've moved around a lot in my life, and it SO helps when you find a welcoming community. i'm glad they made the transition easier for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have everything in my state from desert to slight mountains to coastal beaches and marsh to the grand canyon. It just takes days to drive around my great state of Texas

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...