Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Being a Half Marathon Walker in a Runner's World


Ten years ago, I completed my first half marathon.  There were about 7 or 8 of us from work who completed the 13.1 mile course that year and I was the only walker.  On the following Monday we all wore our Kentucky Derby Festival Mini Marathon t-shirts to work.  Even though t-shirts weren't a normal part of our dress code, we figured that we had earned that one, small bragging right.

Sometime during the day, a coworker came up to me and congratulated me on finishing "the Mini," as we here in the Louisville Metro area call it.  After I thanked her, she followed up with "I didn't know you were a runner," to which I replied, "I'm not.  I'm a walker."

I kid you not, but I visibly witnessed the enthusiasm and admiration drain from her face as she comprehended my words.  She actually had the nerve to then say to me, "I don't think walkers should be allowed to participate in half marathons because they don't run in them."

I was stunned - stunned - and for a few seconds, I had no words.  Then I got mad, mad because how dare she try to negate my accomplishment.  Walk, run, skip, hop, jog, or roll in a wheelchair, anyone who completes a half marathon has the right to feel accomplished.  

I then said something to this effect - "I trained just like a runner for the Mini.  I put in the same distance week in and week out since January.  On Saturday, I crossed the same starting line, crossed the same finish line, and I covered the same distance as any runner - it just took me longer.  There are no rules against walkers participating, so I'm not sure what your issue is."

She then said, "Well, anyone can walk 13 miles..."  I blinked, put a smirk on my face and replied, "Then where's your Mini Marathon t-shirt?" and walked away.  

I'd love to tell you that incident was an isolated occurrence, but it wasn't.  Granted, it was probably the worst as it was the most confrontational, but it wasn't the last.  In the  decade since that first half marathon, I've completed two more and no one has ever been that rude to my face. But, I've seen that visible drop in enthusiasm on so many faces over the years that I've now come to expect it.  Here's a typical scenario:

Person X: "What are you doing this weekend?
Me: "On Saturday, I'm doing the Mini Marathon."
Person X: "Wow! I didn't know you were a runner!"
Me: "I'm not. I'm a walker; I'm walking it."
Person X: "Oh..."

Or the past tense version (once people have discovered that I completed the race):

Person X: "You ran the Mini?"
Me: "No, I walked it."
Person X: "Oh..."


I've learned that short little "Oh..." at the end of the exchange is more than likely masking a thought similar to, "Big deal, I can do that," to which I'm silently responding, "Then why don't you?"

Here's what I don't understand - why would anyone feel so strongly against people who, like myself, walk in half marathons instead of run?  I mean, seriously, who cares?  And for the record, on Saturday during during my third Mini, I passed several joggers who were jogging at a slower pace than I was walking.  But, I digress...  We walkers are not taking anything away from anyone. Everyone who crosses the finish line will get a finisher's medal.  The KDF Mini Marathon and Marathon caps the number of participants at 18,000.  Over the weekend, 1,497 people completed the Marathon and 8,138 finished the Mini Marathon.  That means less that 60% of the slots were filled this year.  Obviously, there's plenty of room for anyone who wants to participate in the race. There's enough room to accommodate the joggers, the elite runners, the walk-joggers, the wheelchair athletes, the bucket-listers, and the walkers.  

There's plenty of room for all of us to be the best marathon and half marathoners we can be. 



Linking up with:


10 comments:

  1. I am proud of you. Finishing is the important thing and doing your best. People who look down on walkers are just jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's wonderful that you completed that marathon.

    Sorry to hear that person was rude to you. There is absolutely nothing wrong with walking instead of running!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Half marathon. (Like the popular slogan goes - "13.1... because I'm only half crazy." LOL!

      Thank you!

      Delete
  3. Well done you. I've done a half-marathon and it was specifically for walkers - it was a Moon Walk (started at midnight) and was in aid of a cancer charity. I'd like to see how many people could actually walk 13 miles if they hadn't trained for it. I trained for it - followed the schedule to the letter but the last couple of miles were HELL! It's not an easy thing to do at all. And many people who set out to do a marathon won't run all the way. The important thing is getting across the finishing line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think I've seen an advertisement for the Moon Walk somewhere here recently. Sounds intriguing! I think anyone in reasonably good health could walk 13 miles... but I think that they'd seriously feel it for several days afterward and that they'd be unable to walk a consistent "race pace" of any kind. I think it would be more of a meander... My last 3 miles were rough mentally. I was feeling it and I was ready to be done. What saved me was playing two song on repeat over and over and over. I'm in total agreement - in it to finish, not win it.

      Delete
  4. Walking 13 miles in one go, not stopping, no resting is not something people just do all the time. I don't get why people think they get to be judgy about something they don't even do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree. Interestingly enough, in my experience, it seems the people with the strongest opinions and/or reactions in this matter have never participated in any races.

      Delete
  5. oh my gosh, my eyes bugged out of my head when i read what she said. what a meanie. anyone can walk 13 miles?! my hips would KILL me if i tried to walk 13 miles without training. i am with you though, don't understand anyone who has opinions about what other people do like this. get over it. i have had people make comments when i tell them my time in any of my half marathons, because i am slow. whatever. screw them. what jerks. i've definitely had walkers walk faster than my run-shuffle lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People can be so utterly rude... Makes my head spin sometimes. Interesting tidbit about that gal - she had never entered any kind of race before, not a 5K, not a 10K, not a half marathon, nothing... But yet she wanted to rain on my parade. Geesh!

      Hey, regarding being a "slow runner" - you know what Confucius said? It doesn't matter how slow you go as long as you do not stop. You finished, that's all that matters. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...