Friday, September 11, 2015

Ugly Love - A Review

Ugly Love by Colleen Hoover (2014)

Book description from Goodreads:  When Tate Collins meets airline pilot Miles Archer, she doesn't think it's love at first sight. They wouldn't even go so far as to consider themselves friends. The only thing Tate and Miles have in common is an undeniable mutual attraction. Once their desires are out in the open, they realize they have the perfect set-up. He doesn't want love, she doesn't have time for love, so that just leaves the sex. Their arrangement could be surprisingly seamless, as long as Tate can stick to the only two rules Miles has for her: 1) Never ask about the past. 2) Don't expect a future.


They think they can handle it, but realize almost immediately they can't handle it at all. Hearts get infiltrated. Promises get broken. Rules get shattered. Love gets ugly.

~~~
Wow…  

This book blew me away.  After I finished it, all I could think was, “Wow…"  Ugly Love is one of those rare books that sank its teeth into me from the very beginning and didn’t let up until the very end.  Throughout the book, regardless of where I was in the story’s timeline, I was feeling something, be it anger, frustration, sadness, nostalgia, or happiness.  When I wasn’t listening to the audiobook, I often found myself thinking about Miles, Tate, and their story.  I was completely immersed in this honest, tragic, complicated, ugly, beautiful tale.

Ugly Love was my first experience with the author, Colleen Hoover, so I honestly didn’t know what to expect in terms of writing style or substance.  I was extremely impressed.  One of the faults I often find with New Adult books is that the writing is often basic, average at best, and although the story has potential, it rarely scratches below the surface in terms of substance.  This was not the case with Ugly Love.  Ugly Love was incredibly well written with believable dialogue, descriptive details, and realistic characters.  The development and buildup of the connection between Tate and Miles was palpable.  

Ugly Love alternates between Tate’s POV in the present and Miles’ POV in the past.  Despite the 6 years difference between the two points of view, it wasn’t hard to keep up.  I actually found it incredibly easy to switch back and for the between the two.  Point of view books seem to be all the rage right now and, honestly, sometimes it is a writing method that doesn’t work well.  In Ugly Love, it worked incredibly well and, in my opinion, enhanced the story overall.

I know that New Adult novels are not for everyone, but I would definitely recommend Ugly Love to those who are fans of the genre and for anyone who might be curious about the genre.  I enthusiastically give it my highest rating: ★★★★★

Have you read Ugly Love?  What's your take on it?  

Thanks for stopping by!


My rating system:
★★★★★ = Awesome!  Good chance I own a print copy!
★★★★ = Very good.
★★★ = Good.
★★ = Not good.  I finished it, but did not like.
★ = Absolutely loathed it!  I may not have even finished it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...