Thursday, September 3, 2015

Modern Classics - Recommendations Needed!

Back in July, during a 7 Habits of Highly Effective People/Leader in Me professional development session for work, I had to choose a personal goal. I then had to share my goal with my "accountabili-buddy" (a.k.a. someone I work with who will hold me accountable for this goal).  Here is what I chose:
By December 31, 2015, I will read 4 classics or modern-classics in an effort to become "better read."
Well, given the fact that my brain was on "summer mode" when I made the goal, I really forgot about it until someone at work asked me last week who my accountability buddy was.  Looking at the calendar, I see that I have 4 months to meet my goal.

I was not an avid reader/audiobook listener until 3 or so years ago.  I admit that the majority of books I currently read/listen to are for entertainment purposes only.  I rarely read books or journals pertaining to my profession and the only non-fiction I read/listen to are autobiographies and travel memoirs.    

I've never been too keen on reading classics or modern classics because, to be frank, they make me feel like I'm back in high school and have been given a reading assignment.  When I read, I like to take what I read for face value.  I don't like thinking about the symbolism and/or other literary devices that are used in a piece.  Sometimes classics are simply too literary for my liking.

Anyway, I am under no delusions that I will ever be "well read" because 1) I don't really know what being well read entails and 2) I don't read enough diverse genres.  I do, however, aspire to be "better read" and I know that involves reading genres outside of my comfort zone (i.e. classics and/or modern classics) which I, historically, have avoided for reasons I mentioned above.

So, in my quest to become better read, I have chosen 4 modern classics and have until New Year's Eve to finish them.  I just finished one, Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote.  I think I will also read/listen to Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury and Catch-22 by Joseph Heller

I am drawing a blank for the 4th one.  Do you have any suggestions?  Please feel free to comment below.  Thanks for stopping by!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...