Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Three Shirt Deal, On the Grind, & Lick MINI Reviews (200 Words or Less)


Since the school year started, my leisure time has been drastically reduced.  Dang blasted, work! Why can't I just be independently wealthy?  LOL!  So, the time I have for reading and writing book reviews has been seriously slashed as well.  I enjoy writing reviews, but know I cannot dedicate the same amount of time to them I did during the summer.  There just aren't enough hours in the day.  Here is my solution - Reviews in 200 Words or Less.

Three Shirt Deal by Stephen J. Cannell (2008) *Shane Scully series #7

Book description from Goodreads - LAPD detective Shane Scully has been struggling in his personal life ever since his wife, Alexa, the department's Chief of the detective's bureau, was shot in the head and developed erratic mood swings. Secada Llevar, a sexy investigating officer for internal affairs, corners Scully and demands his help in reopening a homicide; she believes Tru Hickman, convicted of killing his mother to support a meth habit, was railroaded by some corrupt cops, but she has been ordered by her superiors to drop her inquiry. Scully joins her probe and uncovers high-level corruption, possibly connected with an impending mayoral election, while struggling with his attraction to Secada.

My MINI Review in 200 Words or Less:  Three Shirt Deal is a solid police/crime/mystery novel with an interesting plot as well as a compelling personal sub-storyline involving the main character, Shane, and his wife, Alexa. One thing that I have always enjoyed about this series is that Shane evolves. He ages, time passes, and he does not stay static. Throughout the series, I’ve enjoyed the diverse cases that each book focuses on as well as getting to know Shane and the other peripheral characters.  I really enjoy Shane’s personality, sarcasm, quick wit, and his tendency to bend the rules to benefit the greater good.  His comments are pretty funny as well.  This book was enjoyable and engaging and allowed me to figure some things out along the way, without revealing everything.  My only complain is that near the end, an event occurred that was completely over the top and not believable. NOTE: It’s not necessary to read the previous books in the series in order to enjoy this book, although having read the earlier books does provide the reader with the backstory.  I like having the background information, so that is why I have read the series in order.  It truly is a personal preference, though.
Rating: ★★★



On the Grind by Stephen J. Cannell (2009) *Shane Scully series #8

Book description from Goodreads - Charged with felony misconduct in a high-profile solicitation of murder case, Scully is faced with an impossible decision: either quietly resign from his job as a detective for the LAPD or face criminal prosecution. His wife, Alexa, the chief of detectives, leaves him, seeking a divorce for his dalliance with the accused in the case, a well-known Hollywood actress. His son Chooch won’t even speak to him. Life as Scully knows it is over. Or so it seems... In order to make a living the only way he knows how, Shane seeks employment from a police department that has been known to hire rejects from other departments: the Haven Park PD. The department is a hotbed of corruption, in effect the personal goon squad and collection agency of the town’s mayor, Cecil Bratano. Ushered into the department by his new partner, Shane takes his lessons from one of the dirtiest cops around. But things in L.A. are hardly ever what they seem. Relentlessly harassed by an overzealous FBI agent and under the constant, violent, and hyper paranoid scrutiny of his new comrades-at-arms, Shane finds himself in a snare. His estranged wife may be the only one who can get Shane out of this mess alive. The question is: Is she willing to?

My MINI Review in 200 Words or Less:  Knowing Shane Scully as I do, or at least as I think I do having read books one through seven in the series beforehand, I figured the biggest question out early on.  That’s OK, though, for I still enjoyed the book overall.  It is a solid story with enough twists and turns to keep it interesting.  My only complaint is that I thought the ending was rather anticlimactic.  With everything that led up to the story’s finale, I just expected something bigger, something with a little more “umph.”  Despite that, it was still a fun, entertaining, and enjoyable read.
Rating:  ★★★★


Lick by Kylie Scott (2013)

Book description from AudibleWaking up in Vegas was never meant to be like this. Evelyn Thomas' plans for celebrating her 21st birthday in Las Vegas were big. Huge. But she sure never meant to wake up on the bathroom floor with a hangover to rival the black plague, a very attractive half-naked tattooed man in her room, and a diamond on her finger large enough to scare King Kong. Now if she could just remember how it all happened. One thing is certain, being married to one of the hottest rock stars on the planet is sure to be a wild ride.

My MINI Review in 200 Words or Less:  One of the things I like about New Adult novels is that they are usually pretty fun to read.  Lick did not disappoint.  It was fun.  Now, having said that, I admit that it wasn't earth shattering awesome.  I thought the book was entertaining, but it's not a book I would read again or insist that my friends (who like this genre) read.  It was simply - OK.  I enjoyed the premise of the book and the characters were likable enough.  Sometimes the phrasing of words and figurative language usage were a bit...silly.  For instance, the author used the phrase, "Kissing the stuffing out of me," at one point.  I actually replayed it (audiobook format) because I thought I misheard it the first time.  I mean, I get it, I understand what the author was conveying, but it was an odd phrase choice and elicited an eye roll from me.  All and all, it was enjoyable and it entertained me over the course of an evening and the majority of the following day.  If you are really into the New Adult sub-genre of rock star romance, then you might want to give this book consideration.
Rating:  ★★★

What have you read lately?  Do you have any recommendations?  Thanks for stopping by!



My rating system:
★★★★★ = Awesome!  Good chance I own a print copy!
★★★★ = Very good.
★★★ = Good.
★★ = Not good.  I finished it, but did not like.
★ = Absolutely loathed it!  I may not have even finished it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...