Monday, September 21, 2015

Literary Ladies Summer Book Challenge - Final Check-in

Today is the third and final check-in for the Literary Ladies Summer Book Challenge (hosted by Kari @ bykariparker, Kristen @ seeyouinaporridge, and Krystal (aka Kay) @ thekaytimes).  I finished the challenge back in August, so I really have nothing new to report.  I'm just checking in so ensure that I'm eligible for the wildcard prize.  :)

Thank you to Kari, Kristen, and Krystal (aka Kay) for hosting this challenge!  It was fun and I enjoyed myself!

Below are the books I completed for this challenge. (NOTE: If a book title appears in red, you can click on it and it will direct you to my review of that book. If a title is crossed out, this indicates that I initially considered that book for that category but ditched it for some reason.)


  1. One word title book - Grey by E.L. James (576 pgs, 3/5 rating, read 6.21 - 6.26.15)
  2. YA book - Looking for Alaska by John Green (221 pgs, 3/5 rating, read 6.27 - 6.29.15)
  3. Book by non US author - A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman (368 pgs, 5/5 rating, the author is Swedish, read 7.6 - 7.7.15)
  4. Suspenseful bookThe River is Dark by Joe Hart (223 pgs, 2/5 rating, read 7.10 - 7.15.15)
  5. Book recommended by a blogger, "Goodreads-er,"  etc. Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris (272 pgs, 4/5 rating, recommended by my friend Jen @ Goodreads, read 7.16.15)
  6. Book written by comedian or celeb (or memoir)My Mother was Nuts by Penny Marshall (326 pgs, 3/5 rating, read 7.27 - 7.28.15)
  7. Book about summer, has summer in title, or is any way related to summer - The Summer I Turned Pretty *Update: Sweet by Tammara Webber (340 pgs, 4/5 rating, *the story takes place during the summer, read 7.29 - 7.31.15)
  8. Book that has been/will be made into a movie/TV show Paper Towns *Update: Reconstructing Amelia by Kimberly McCreight (382 pgs, 3/5 rating, *slated to be an HBO movie, read 8.2 - 8.6.15)
  9. Book that has been on my TBR list for 1 year or more My Bluegrass Baby *Update: A Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce Cameron (319 pgs, 4/5 rating, read 8.6 - 8.13.15)
  10. Book w/ a kickass female character - Fear Nothing (DD Warren series) by Lisa Gardner (416 pgs, 4/5 rating, *Detective DD Warren is the epitome of KICKASS!, read 8.13 - 8.20.2015)
10 categories.  
10 books.  
8 1/2 weeks. 
107 hours of listening time. 
Finished.
Did you participate in the Literary Ladies Summer Book Challenge?  How did you do?  

Happy reading and thanks for stopping by!

13 comments:

  1. Awesome! Congratulations! I finished too! :) I have some of John Green's books on my tbr... but I am not sure if I will love them or not. We'll find out! :) XO -Alexandra

    Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats to you! I've only read the one John Green book (Looking for Alaska). Paper Towns is kind of on my radar, but not my immediate radar. I'd be interested to hear what you think of him at some point in the future.

      Delete
  2. We had so much fun hosting this and yay you for finishing!!! We have more challenges coming up!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I look forward to seeing what you three have in store for future challenges.

      Delete
  3. yayyy you go girl! thank you so much for joining us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on completing the challenge. I've got several of these on my to read list, and I want to get to A Man Called Ove soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I so enjoyed A Man Called Ove! It is one of my top 5 favorites of the year. I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  5. I had to read your review on Grey and I totally agree! I also listened to it and if I didn't listen to it via Audible I think I wouldn't have been able to complete the book, surprisingly Christian came across as really creepy ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, totally creepy. I stand firm in my belief that the narrator, Zachary Webber, is pretty much the reason why I finished the book. I absolutely love his voice. I think I could listen to him read... well, anything! :)

      Delete
  6. I love David Sedaris. If you liked him, you should check out Augusten Burroughs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are so happy to have hosted the challenge. Thanks for joining us! We hope to have another one soon!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...