Friday, April 14, 2017

L is for L.A. Riots, Long Island Lolita, & A League... (2017 Blogging A to Z)

Welcome to my '92 Time Capsule, where I unearth artifacts and memories from a quarter century ago in alphabetical order everyday (excluding Sundays, with the exception of the 30th) during the month of April. 

Today's letter is L, so without further ado...



For six days in late April and early May of 1992, the city of Los Angeles experienced widespread rioting, looting, arson, property damage, assaults, and murder in reaction to the acquittal of LAPD officers who were on trial for the beating of Rodney King.  These disturbances came to be known as the L.A. Riots, the Rodney King riots, the Compton riots, and/or the South Central riots.



The unrest began on April 29 in South Central Los Angeles after four LAPD officers were acquitted of the use of excessive force in the arrest and beating of Rodney King.  The disturbances then spread throughout the Los Angeles metropolitan area.  Order was restored after members of the California Army National Guard, the 7th Infantry Division, and the 1st Marine Division were called in when the local law enforcement could no longer control the uprisings.



In the end, 55 people were killed, more than 2000 people were injured, more than 11,000 people were arrested, more than 1000 buildings were damaged, and property damage was estimated between $800 million and $1 billion.

~~~


On May 19, 17 year-old Amy Fisher shot and severely wounded Mary Jo Buttafuoco.  Fisher and Buttafuoco’s husband, 35 year-old Joey Buttafuoco, had been been having an illicit affair.  The media dubbed Fisher as “the Long Island Lolita.”



Mary Jo Buttafuoco was shot in the head, but survived the attack.  Fisher was charged with attempted murder, but plead guilty to a lesser charge of first-degree assault.  She was sentenced to 5 to 15 years in prison.  She served 7 years and was granted parole in 1999.


~~~


A League of Their Own, a fictionalized account of the real life All-American Girls Professional Baseball League, opened that summer on July 1.  The film was directed by Penny Marshall and starred Geena Davis, Tom Hanks, Madonna, and Lori Petty.

Produced on a budget of $40 million, A League of Their Own earned $107 million in the US and brought in an additional $25 million worldwide.

The film was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress for its cultural and historic significance.

“This Used to Be My Playground,” a single from the movie, performed by Madonna, earned the singer a Golden Globe nomination for Best Original Song.  The song reached the 1 position on the Billboard Hot 100, becoming Madonna’s tenth chart-topping single.


On a personal note, the image of the truck driver being pulled from the cab of his truck and beaten is the image of the L.A. Riots that I remember most vividly and that has stuck with me over the years.

Have you seen A League of Their Own?  Do you like it?

As always, thanks for stopping by!  Have a fabulous Friday!


16 comments:

  1. The LA riots were disturbing and the hatred that spawned them hasn't really abated. I saw A League of Their Own and loved it. When we went to Cooperstown to visit the Baseball hall of Fame, I was pleased to see they had a whole section of the museum dedicated to both the real women who played and the film that reminded Americans and the rest of the world of what these women had done. Find me here. LINK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, for all the progress we seem to have made, some things have not changed at all during the past quarter century. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. That's Reginald Denny.

    Saw A League of Their Own. Good movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was an excellent movie.

      Reginald Denny. I should make it a point to know that man's name. That image has been burned in the recesses of my mind for a quarter century. I owe him that much, to know his name.

      Delete
  3. I love A League of Their Own.

    Not too much has changed since the LA riots. Sad.

    Amy Fisher! I freaking love the Lifetime movie starring Alyssa Milano.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree... For all the changes and progress we've experienced, some things haven't changed at all. Very sad and disheartening.

      Delete
  4. "There's no crying in baseball!" Tom Hanks is the best. Probably my favorite scene from the movie.

    As soon as I read L.A. Riots, the Sublime song has been playing in a loop over and over in my head. It's how I remember the date.

    So many Lifetime movies with Amy Fisher.

    Once Upon a Time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I find myself laughing at that scene every time I see it. I use an adapted version in speech therapy with my kiddos - "There's no crying in speech!" They have no idea of the reference, but I get a little kick out of it. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. I saw League of their own, I think, years after its release and it was cool to see woman play baseball. I don't remember the movie but I remember the part where Madonna's character tries to teach cursing to another girl or other, fun movie though it seemed a bit sad at the end.

    have a lovely day.

    ~ my L post - What I like in a blog ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very poignant movie. I still find myself a little misty eyed at the end as they are viewing the memorabilia in the museum. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. I liked a league of their own and Tom hanks I was in the Navy in San Diego when the riots went down and little do most people know the riots spawned to San Diego but not as bad the base was put on lock down no one in or out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While doing research on this topic, I came across information of "sister riots" popping up in larger cities across the country. I was still at home in southern WV. I was probably about as far removed from that incident as one could be. No riots occured, that I remember, anywhere near me.

      Delete
  7. Loved A League of Their Own and often use the line "There's no crying in baseball."
    Visiting from
    If I Only Had A Time Machine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! It is a very endearing quote! I have often found myself saying to crying kids in therapy - "There's no crying in speech!" They, of course, have no idea of the cultural significance, but I do. LOL!

      Delete
  8. A League of Their Own is such a good movie! One of the big college dances we did was themed around this movie and took place at the local baseball stadium and had black and white old-style baseball pictures hung all around the VIP room at the stadium. It was a fun experience, and provided an interesting theme.

    Great choices for your '92 time capsule!

    With Love,
    Mandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What an awesome idea for a dance theme!

      Thank you and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...