Saturday, April 22, 2017

S is for Snapple, Some Gave All, SI Swimsuit, Stanford, & Sir Mix-a-Lot

Welcome to my '92 Time Capsule, where I unearth artifacts and memories from a quarter century ago in alphabetical order everyday (excluding Sundays, with the exception of the 30th) during the month of April. 

Today's letter is S, so let's get to it ...

Although Snapple has been around since the 1970s, its height in popularity hit during the 1990s when eclectic fruit flavor mixes were all the rage.



In 1992, Snapple launched a new advertising campaign that included its trademark catchphrase "made from the best stuff on Earth."  Also during this time period, Snapple launched commercials that featured Wendy Kaufman, aka the "Snapple Lady," who would answer questions from Snapple fans.


Although this commercial is from 1993, I included it because it was written by a man in Kentucky and I thought it was kind of fitting since that's where I now live.


~~~

Some Gave All, the debut album by country singer Billy Ray Cyrus, was released in May of 1992.  The album quickly ascended to the top of the Billboard Country Albums charts and remained in the #1 position for a whopping 17 weeks from June 13 until October 3! 


The album produced four hit singles, "Could've Been Me," "Wher'm I Gonna Live?," "She's Not Cryin' Anymore," and the breakthrough single that launched him into stardom and became his signature song, "Achy Breaky Heart."

Some Gave All has been certified 9x Multi-Platinum in the United States and is Billy Ray Cyrus' most successful album to date.


~~~

Kathy Ireland graced the cover of SI's Swimsuit Issue in 1992.  



(Ireland was also featured on the 25th Anniversary cover in 1989 and shared the cover with Elle Macpherson and Rachel Hunter in 1994.)

~~~

In April of that year, Stanford University's women's basketball team defeated the Hill Toppers of Western Kentucky 78-62 to clench their second NCAA championship title.


~~~

Sir Mix-a-Lot was all over the airways with his musical tribute to large female backsides with "Baby Got Back."  



Despite the controversy surrounding the song's blatant sexual lyrics and references to the female anatomy that many found offensive, "Baby Got Back" reached number 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 and remained there for five weeks during the summer of 1992.  The song was the second most popular song of the year, coming in behind Boyz II Men's "End of the Road" on the Billboard Year-End Hot 100 chart.

The song won Sir Mix-a-Lot a Grammy Award in 1993 for Best Rap Solo Performance.




~~~

On a personal note, "Achy Breaky Heart" drove me bonkers and represented everything that I really disliked about country music at the time.  As for "Baby Got Back"...  Well, I'll just say this - I still think it's pretty hilarious.

Did you have a favorite Snapple flavor back in the day?  What did you think of "Achy Breaky Heart" or "Sir Mix-a-Lot?"  As always, thanks for stopping by!







5 comments:

  1. Strawberry kiwi is still my favorite flavor of snapple achy breaky heart was an irritating song baby got back was popular over seas at the time

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't even like snapples until years later after '92 but I still like them, my favorite flavor is probably mango anything, strawberry kiwi, peach tea.

    not much into country music but I think I remember Cyrus being about, didn't really care for his music though...

    have a lovely day.

    ~ my S post - Seven Silly & Strange Questions ~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Snapple's not something we have over here in the UK so I feel like I'm missing out. They seem like some cool flavours.

    Cait @ Click's Clan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sir Mix-a-lot for me, great S post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hated Achy Breaky Heart as well, but I think I liked Could've Been Me. Going to find it now to listen and remind myself.
    Baby Got Back - I'm guilty - I liked it then and still do.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...