Thursday, April 6, 2017

E is for End of the Road & Elvis (2017 Blogging A to Z)

Welcome to my '92 Time Capsule, where I unearth artifacts and memories from a quarter century ago in alphabetical order everyday (excluding Sundays, with the exception of the 30th) during the month of April. 

Today's letter is E, so here we go...



"End of the Road," a song performed by American R&B vocal group, Boyz II Men, stayed in the #1 position on U.S charts for twelve consecutive weeks ending the 36 year record previously held by Elvis Presley.  (This record was short-lived, however, as it was broken in March 1993 by Whitney Houston's version of "I Will Always Love You" from The Bodyguard soundtrack.)



~~~

Speaking of Elvis, in 1992 the US Postal Service allowed the general public to vote on which likeness of Elvis to use on a stamp that would be issued the following January.  The public had two choices, a younger Elvis depicting his likeness in the 1950s/60s or an older Elvis depicting his likeness in the 1970s.



Nearly 1.2 million ballots were cast and more than 75% were for the likeness of the younger Elvis.  



I remember voting for the younger Elvis stamp and I'm pretty sure that my Granny B., who absolutely adored Elvis, did as well.

Which Elvis stamp do you prefer?  Do you agree with the American public?  As always, thanks for stopping by!



8 comments:

  1. The younger but didn't vote on it back then

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I would have gone with the younger one too. It's a classic Elvis look. I don't remember End of the Road but I Will Always Love You seemed to be played on the radio forever. WeekendsInMaine

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember that song - 'end of the road' - listening to it now, it sounds just too sweet for my taste now

    doesn't everyone prefer the younger elvis? I do but the older elvis stamp image doesn't look bad at all.

    have a lovely day.

    my E post: Everything

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, yeah, I remember that song. And those plaid jackets. Man were we nuts for everything plaid in the 90s.

    Not surprising that young Elvis won, knowing how much our culture values youth. But you're more likely to see impersonators in the iconic 70s jumpsuit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's a REALLY good, and interesting point, laurel. i had never thought of that.

      Delete
  5. I remember the stamp coming out but I don't remember voting. I like the younger one. Donna from Girl Who Reads

    ReplyDelete
  6. the younger one, but that's probably because his abuse of narcotics wasn't so obvious on his physique then. i didn't vote, either.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll be different and vote for the old!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...