Thursday, April 13, 2017

K is for Kinison, Kentucky, & Keep the Faith (2017 Blogging A to Z)

Welcome to my '92 Time Capsule, where I unearth artifacts and memories from a quarter century ago in alphabetical order everyday (excluding Sundays, with the exception of the 30th) during the month of April. 

Today's letter is K, so without further ado...

Sam Kinison, was an American comedian and actor.  Unbeknownst to many, Kinison was a former Pentecostal preacher.  He was best known for his intense, brash, politically incorrect stand up comedy  routines and his trademark scream. 



Kinison made his film debut in the 1986 Rodney Dangerfield movie, Back to School.  He was also remembered for his 1988 remake of the song "Wild Thing." The video was a sensation on MTV and featured cameos of many well known musicians of the time such as members of Bon Jovi, Guns N' Roses, Aerosmith, and Motley Crue.  The video also  featured former secretary to televangelist Jim Bakker turned actress/Playboy model, Jessica Hahn.

In April of 1992, while traveling to Laughlin, NV to perform a sold-out performance, Kinison's Pontiac Trans Am was struck head on by a drunk driver who crossed the center line into Kinison's lane.  Kinison's death came six days after his marriage to Malika Souiri.  Sam Kinison was 38 years old.


~~~

In May, Lil E. Tee, ridden by Pat Day, won the Kentucky Derby and scored one of the biggest upsets in Derby history.



On June 1, the Commonwealth of Kentucky celebrated its bicentennial. 


~~~

Later that year, on November 3, Bon Jovi released their fifth studio album, Keep the Faith.  Keep the Faith was the last album to feature the band's original bassist, Alec John Such.  The album produced the hit singles, "Keep the Faith," "Bed of Roses," and "In These Arms."



On a personal note, "In These Arms" is my favorite song off the Keep the Faith album. I absolutely love the lines:

Baby, I want you,
like the roses want the rain.
You know I need you, l
like a poet needs the pain.
Ah...  That's some good stuff right there folks.  And, yes, I know I'm biased. Here's the video for your listening and viewing enjoyment:



Do you have any memories of any of these events? Feel free to share if you to. I hope this finds you having a wonderful Thursday! Thanks for stopping by!





10 comments:

  1. Although I have memories of '92 (I was married that year), I don't remember any of these... I have more memories of ski slopes (and the elections).

    https://1001armchairadventures.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Memories of ski slopes... Sounds very picturesque! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. not quite familiar of any of these except bon jovi, though I mostly just remember the lead singer and his hair and that he is from New Jersey.

    have a lovely day.

    ~ my K post - Korean Dramas ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes... his hair! 1992 was also the year in which he cut his famously long locks and adopted a shorter style. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. One of my favorite songs to belt out alone in the car is Bed of Roses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kinison has a cameo in Motley Crue's "Kickstart My Heart" video.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I wasn't aware. It's been YEARS since I've seen that video. Think I'll have to YouTube it now.

      Delete
  5. In These Arms...yep, in my top 5 fave Bon Jovi songs of all time...and, you know, that's saying a lot.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...